STORM Data Analyst
- Expired: September 11, 2021. Applications are no longer accepted.
Are you naturally curious? Do you enjoy solving puzzles?
Are you an honest broker? Are you tenacious?
Do you have an interest in military history or wargaming?
Are you comfortable with computers? Do you have any experience with programming?
Do you like to grapple with complexity? Can you build an argument and then tell a story?
If you answered "yes" to a few of these questions, this job posting is for you!!
Group W is home to one of the best software engineering teams developing modeling and simulation applications and analytic teams supporting the Department of Defense. Our applications employ a wide variety of technologies and disciplines including: computer science, discrete event simulation, operations research, relational database, combinatorial optimization, graph theory, graphical user interface and data visualization. The software engineering process includes formal software configuration management, coding standards and peer reviews. Our analytic products support programmatic, budgetary and operational planning decisions for the Services, Combatant Commands and their components, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and the Office of the Secretary of Defense.
Analyze the output from the Synthetic Theater Operations Research Model (STORM), a DoD-sponsored and approved campaign simulation. Serve as a modeler-analyst on a dynamic team working out of the National Capital Region area on multiple projects for DoD clients.
Exercise in-depth knowledge of data analysis techniques on very large, structured databases such as STORM output.
Perform modeling and simulation to support quantitative and qualitative analysis of conventional and unconventional theater operations to inform DoD decision makers.
Work collaboratively with an integrated team of analysts using STORM (or other models) and other DoD analytic products to acquire and/or develop appropriate input data.
Employ in-depth knowledge of modeling/Operations Research techniques to inform a variety of analyses, wargames, exercises, and experiments.
Work independently and collaboratively on assessments supporting OPLAN, CONPLAN, capability trades, systems trades, force structure, and Service-specific studies.
Provide analytic expertise in the creation, presentation, and publication of study reports and briefings.
Support and/or employ other models such as NSS or SEAS to generate and refine analytic data for STORM campaign studies.
Consult and coordinate with team members on system design and functionality.
- US Citizenship
- DoD Top Secret Clearance with SCI Eligibility
- Undergraduate Degree from an Accredited University
Desired (one or more of the following):
- 5 years of experience performing campaign modeling and analysis using campaign simulations like STORM, Thunder, and JICM
- Degree from an accredited university in Operations Research, Computer Science, Engineering, or Mathematics
- Experience performing mission-level modeling and analysis using simulations like AFSIM, EADSIM, and SUPPRESSOR
- Experience operating a Unix/Linux operating system
- Experience with JMP, R, SQL, VBA, Python, C#, Perl, MATLAB, and/or C++
- Experience with the following software (or software that provides the same functionality): gcc, MySQL, GTK+, XML, bison, Microsoft Office API, OpenMap, CVS, and/or gdb
- Experience in the design, development and implementation of software
- Experience in the management and analysis of large data sets
- Prior military experience, particularly at the theater or component headquarters level
- Familiarity with theater OPLANs and/or Defense Planning Scenarios
Group W is committed to providing equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, status as a covered veteran, or other similarly protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
TechnologyView all jobs at Group W