What Is a Senior Financial Analyst and How to Become One
Table of Contents
What Does a Senior Financial Analyst Do?
Financial analysts improve a company’s financial profile by aligning accounting decisions with economic trends. Once they have at least 4-6 years of work experience, financial analysts can advance towards a senior financial analyst role. Senior financial analysts closely examine data, then use their findings to advise on investment decisions. They also supervise other members of the finance department, support forecasting, and prepare financial proposals to be approved by the Chief Financial Officer (CFO).
How to Become a Senior Financial Analyst
A senior financial analyst directs financial planning and reporting for a company. Senior financial analysts play a significant role in helping companies execute accounting and investment functions to maximize profits. Become a senior financial analyst by earning a bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, or business. Complete coursework in financial forecasting, accounting, investment banking, and portfolio management. Secure an entry-level job in finance; work hard and earn promotions by proving your knowledge in forecasting and organizing portfolios. Once you have several years of experience in the field, seek a job as a senior financial analyst.
Senior Financial Analyst Job Description Sample
With this Senior Financial Analyst job description sample, you can get a good idea of what employers are looking for when hiring for this position. Remember, every employer is different and each will have unique qualifications when they hire for a Senior Financial Analyst role.
We are seeking an experienced, talented individual to join our firm as a Senior Financial Analyst. As part of our finance team, you support business operations through the preparation of annual and quarterly budgets for various departments and business teams, as well as through analysis of key business information and drivers. Your analysis and recommendations direct and drive operational decisions and have a considerable impact on project timelines and completion. Our ideal candidate has extensive professional finance experience, including at least five years in a leadership role.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare annual and quarterly budgets in support of operational objectives
- Perform analysis of key business information and drivers, presenting recommendations to company decision-makers and stakeholders
- Develop and implement fiscal year plans and forecasts
- Provide insight and recommendations for cost-saving procedural changes
Requirements and Qualifications
- 10 years of professional finance experience, including five years in a leadership role
- A bachelor's degree in business, finance, accounting, or a related field; master's degree or higher preferred
- Certified Public Accountant certification preferred
- Advanced proficiency in Excel and relevant accounting software and platforms
- Excellent organizational and communication skills