In Home Specialist
Community Human Services Pittsburgh, PA
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
The In-Home Specialist (IHS) provides personal care and home making assistance to adults with physical and/or mental health disabilities. The goal of the program is for the participants to maintain independent living in the community. The IHS services include teaching home care management skills and providing encouragement and support to use these skills. The IHS also focuses on increasing the participant’s level of community involvement and improving upon the client’s health and wellness education and practice. The In-Home Specialist is under the direction of the Director of In-Home Services.
Responsibilities and Duties:
The IHS provides direct care services for individuals in their homes as outlined on the Service Plan created by the assessor, the IHS, the client, and other service providers to:
- Provide education to client and assistance with personal care, encouraging client participation
- Collaborate with clients regarding meal planning and preparation, as well as nutritional education
- Assist clients in making appointments and escort them as needed
- Provide assistance to the client with shopping for food, clothing, and personal items as needed
- Partner with client to complete household chores, including refrigerator cleaning, laundry, dishes, sweeping/mopping, trash removal, pest prevention, and general upkeep
- Work together with client to establish a system for household organization
- Encourage the client to be engaged in their community (e.g., community centers, libraries, social groups, voting, attending in-house activities in their buildings, etc.) and accompany client, if needed
- Coordinate with other members of client’s service team when applicable
- Maintain client confidentiality
- Observe and report changes in clients to supervisor on an on-going basis
- Document rendered services on the progress note, including the date and time of the visit verified with client signature
- Document details of the client visit in the electronic database
- Submit documentation in a timely fashion
- Attend staff meetings and one-on-one supervision as scheduled
- Attend agency and departmental training
- Follow agency and program policies and protocols, including all personnel and regulatory requirements (e.g., annual TB test, bi-annual physical, etc.)
Benefits and Perks
- Excellent Benefits Package:
- AETNA Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- 401(k) w/ match
- Company Paid - Life Insurance, Short Term Disability, and Long Term Disability
- Generous Paid Time Off - 23 days your first full year in addition to paid holidays.
- High school graduate/GED or comparable life/work experiences.
- Home Health Aid Certification, or Certified Nurse Aid (preferred)
- Experience with mobile and computer based technology
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Ability to function as a constructive and productive team member
- Experience working with clients with mental illness and/or physical disabilities
- Ability to assess mental health and behavioral changes and respond accordingly
- Ability to establish and maintain boundaries
- Ability to motivate and positively encourage clients to succeed
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the job including lifting, bending, going up and down stairs.
- A valid driver’s license, a reliable vehicle, and comfort driving throughout the City of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County.
- Any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience as approved by the County DHS office and the CHS Board of Directors.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Powered by JazzHR