Novel Systems Machine Learning Engineer
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
About the Team
STRs Analytics division researches and develops advanced analytics and machine learning-based solutions to solve challenging problems related to national security. Our team consists of passionate and motivated engineers with advanced degrees in engineering, computer science, mathematics, and data sciences, who are seeking opportunities to use their deep technical knowledge and creativity to tackle some of the hardest problems that our customers face. Our projects span multiple different data modalities and incorporate advanced algorithms, deep learning, and statistical techniques to uncover patterns in social media, structured and unstructured text, time series, geospatial, and imagery data, and must operate under challenging constraints not typically found in the commercial world. The tools and technologies we develop have real world impact and are used by analysts to extract and enrich intelligence information around the globe.
In the Machine Learning Engineer Algorithms Lead role, you will lead teams that develop and evaluate statistical and machine learning algorithms to uncover hidden information and patterns from a diverse collection of massive datasets. Your team will develop cutting edge solutions and work collaboratively with our software engineers to design and deploy models into production. You will interact with customers to understand their requirements and respond to their most critical problems. This position is based in Arlington, VA; applicants should expect to primarily work onsite.
What you will do:
- Guide teams through the research-to-deployment maturation of novel algorithms, as you work together to respond to the operational timelines and priorities of some of our nations most critical mission needs
- Apply state-of-the-art and novel techniques such as supervised and unsupervised learning, machine learning, and deep learning to problems such as classification, anomaly detection, and forecasting to problems of national security and safety interest
- Collaboratively work with other machine learning engineers and software engineers to design, develop, and deploy cutting edge statistical analysis and machine learning systems into production
- Work with data sets that include 10s-100s of millions of records per day from a variety of data sources
- Interact with customers to understand requirements and iteratively respond to their most critical problems
- Make an impact by performing critical national security work that makes the world a safer place
Who You Are:
- Experienced team leader who is excited to work with mission partners to leverage cutting-edge research for immediate impact
- Motivated collaborator who is looking for the opportunity to work with a team of high-end researchers and software engineers to develop and deploy novel machine learning solutions
- Expertise in machine learning methods and implementation for geospatial-temporal analytics, change point detection, and clustering techniques, time-series analysis, graph analytics, geospatial analysis, image processing, or Bayesian programming
- Excellent communicator and briefer, who is comfortable communicating with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to evaluate novel prototype solutions, and work with a team to mature promising prototypes into operational capabilities
- Prototyping skills using Python
- Possess an advanced degree in a scientific field such as Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Data Science, or Physics, 7+ years of relevant experience after bachelors degree (work or post-graduate)
- Have ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance
- Experience working in a large cross-functional, distributed team
- Experienced in leading and directing research initiatives from inception to functional prototypes
- Familiarity with software development best practices, including version control (Git) and Agile workflow methodologies
- Experience working with large datasets and familiarity with big data infrastructure, such as AWS, Hadoop, Spark, Dask, or MapReduce
- Active security clearance
While this position is ideally suited for a senior machine learning engineer, individuals with lower levels of experience are also encouraged to apply, to work with our team leaders and have meaningful impact on our nations safety and security.
STR is a growing technology company with locations near Boston, MA, Arlington, VA, near Dayton, OH, Palm Bay, FL, and Carlsbad, CA. We specialize in advanced research and development for defense, intelligence, and national security, trying to understand how to protect our society: from stopping malicious botnet attacks, to understanding cyber vulnerabilities, providing next generation sensors, radar, sonar, communications, and electronic warfare to developing artificial intelligence algorithms and analytics to make sense of the complexity that is exploding around us.
STR is committed to creating a collaborative learning environment that supports deep technical understanding and recognizes the contributions and achievements of all team members. Our work is challenging, but you go home at night knowing that you pushed the forefront of technology and made the world a little safer. We recognize that the world is changing, that it is becoming more connected than ever before, making things change faster than before, and reshaping society in the process. We all want to understand this changing world and leave it better for our work.
STR is not just any company. Our people, culture, and attitude along with their unique set of skills, experiences, and perspectives put us on a trajectory to change the world. We can't do it alone, though - we need fellow trailblazers. If you are one, join our team and help to keep our society safe! Visit us at www.str.us for more info.
STR is an equal opportunity employer. We are fully dedicated to hiring the most qualified candidate regardless of race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any portion of the employment process, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and provide your contact info.
Pursuant to applicable federal law and regulations, positions at STR require employees to obtain national security clearances and satisfy the requirements for compliance with export control and other applicable laws.
TechnologyView all jobs at STR