What Is a Visual Designer and How to Become One
Table of Contents
What Is a Visual Designer?
A visual designer creates designs for clients. Their responsibilities include designing the visual aspects of advertisements, marketing campaigns, and products. Specific job duties vary depending on their employer or clients. For example, they may create product labels, layout print publications, or design web pages. They often meet with clients to determine their needs, collaborate with other graphic designers, create design plans, and submit sketches and project proposals.
How to Become a Visual Designer
To become a visual designer, you need an associate’s or bachelor’s degree in graphic design. Having an advanced degree can help you advance your career. Experience with graphic design software and web applications is beneficial, and you will need strong interpersonal skills to communicate with clients and coworkers about projects and design plans. Other qualifications include a portfolio of your previous work to demonstrate your talents to prospective employers and clients.
Visual Designer Job Description Sample
With this Visual Designer job description sample, you can get a good idea of what employers are looking for when hiring for this position. Remember, every employer is different and each will have unique qualifications when they hire for a Visual Designer role.
The Visual Designer will be responsible for creating visuals that communicate brand messages and supporting initiatives. The successful candidate must have a good understanding of research, design, and production processes. You will create high-quality visuals that are visually appealing and that follow the company’s brand standards. Additionally, you will be expected to collaborate with multiple teams such as marketing, design, and product teams to ensure that visuals meet the desired goals.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop visuals for print and digital formats, such as websites, social media, emails, and ads
- Create logos and other graphics to support marketing campaigns
- Work with the marketing, product, and design teams to ensure the visuals are in line with brand standards and customer expectations
- Collaborate with content writers and other designers to create visuals that effectively communicate the desired message
- Utilize the latest design trends to create visuals that are visually appealing and that adhere to the brand standards
- Monitor the quality of visuals and ensure they are being used correctly
- Stay up-to-date with the latest design trends, software, and technologies
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, Visual Communication, or related discipline
- 3+ years of professional experience in graphic design, visual design, or related field
- Strong portfolio demonstrating creative visual designs
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, Principle, and other design software
- Knowledge of user interface design principles and practices
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Able to work independently and within a team
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills