This free Principal Scientist job description sample template can help you attract an innovative and experienced Principal Scientist to your company. We make the hiring process one step easier by giving you a template to simply post to our site. Make sure to add requirements, benefits, and perks specific to the role and your company.
Principal Scientist Job Summary
Our organization is currently seeking a Principal Scientist to lead one of our research teams. In this role, you will design and oversee experiments, determining which projects should be prioritized due to their importance to internal and external objectives. After interpreting the results and determining how they affect what we have in development, you may also present your analysis at conferences and to relevant scientific publications. Since you are the Principal Scientist, you will oversee and mentor the junior staff members who help execute and document your experiments. You must have an advanced degree and extensive years of scientific research experience to qualify for this position, preferably in a similar field.
Principal Scientist Duties and Responsibilities
- Design and run experiments to assist with product research and development
- Analyze and document results, or oversee documentation
- Submit results and analysis to scientific publications
- Present results at conferences
- Mentor junior staff members
Principal Scientist Requirements and Qualifications
- Doctorate in a relevant scientific discipline (or a master’s degree and equivalent experience)
- 8+ years of scientific research experience in the industry (preferred)
- Experiment design experience
- Written and oral presentation skills
- Observational, analytical, and management abilities