This free Historian job description sample template can help you attract an innovative and experienced Historian to your company. We make the hiring process one step easier by giving you a template to simply post to our site. Make sure to add requirements, benefits, and perks specific to the role and your company.
Historian Job Summary
We are currently seeking a Historian to contribute to historical research and cultural projects. In some cases, you will focus on interpreting history for a general audience, so you must be an expert at creating historical narratives. These narratives should be based on documented research and a strong understanding of historical context. You may also pursue research projects that have primarily academic applications, in which case you will submit papers based on your findings to relevant publications or conferences. While we prefer applicants with a significant amount of historical research experience, we will also consider recent graduates who have completed a graduate assistantship or internship.
Historian Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead historical research or cultural projects
- Utilize cultural resources and documents
- Use a strong understanding of historical context to create engaging historical narratives
- Prepare research studies and papers for publication
- Present findings at conferences
Historian Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in history
- Master’s degree in public history or your specialization (doctorate a plus)
- Historical research experience (5+ years preferred)
- Strong analytical and research abilities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills