This free Child Life Specialist job description sample template can help you attract an innovative and experienced Child Life Specialist to your company. We make the hiring process one step easier by giving you a template to simply post to our site. Make sure to add requirements, benefits, and perks specific to the role and your company.
Child Life Specialist Job Summary
We are looking for a Child Life Specialist to care for the emotional well-being of our younger patients. Children and their families often experience increased anxiety about illness and medical procedures; your primary responsibility will be to help ease their worries and help them to understand what they will go through with their treatment plan. You may provide emotional counseling, explain treatment plans in a less intimidating manner, or develop a therapeutic play plan to help them cope. Our ideal applicant has a master’s degree in a child development related field and experience gained through an internship. You should also be a certified child life specialist (CCLS).
Child Life Specialist Duties and Responsibilities
- Meet with each child and their family after diagnosis
- Describe the treatment plan or procedure in an easy to understand fashion
- Address any concerns they may have
- Use therapeutic play to help ease anxiety
- Provide basic emotional counseling
Child Life Specialist Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in child development; master’s strongly preferred
- CCLS certification (preferred)
- Experience through an internship or previous job
- Strong communication and listening skills
- Experience working with children