This free Chef Assistant job description sample template can help you attract an innovative and experienced Chef Assistant to your company. We make the hiring process one step easier by giving you a template to simply post to our site. Make sure to add requirements, benefits, and perks specific to the role and your company.
Chef Assistant Job Summary
We are seeking a highly motivated individual dedicated to culinary excellence to join our restaurant team as a Chef Assistant. As part of our back-of-house team, you will arrive early each day to prep ingredients, sauces, dressings, and any special items. You will also work through high-volume meal shifts preparing dishes and assisting the head chef, as well as stay late cleaning and organizing the prep area and marking items to be reordered. This job requires prior kitchen experience, and our ideal candidate has formal culinary training in addition to excellent multitasking and organizational skills.
Chef Assistant Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare all ingredients for the daily menu, including chopping vegetables, thawing frozen items, filleting fish, preparing sauces, and setting out any special items
- Prepare salads, side dishes, and appetizers during high-volume meal shifts
- Assist the head chef as necessary
- “Eighty-six” spent ingredients and mark for reorder
Chef Assistant Requirements and Qualifications
- Professional experience in a fast-paced kitchen environment
- Formal culinary training (strongly preferred but may be substituted for experience)
- Valid food handler’s permit
- Excellent self-motivation and the ability to work unsupervised
- Strong multitasking and organizational skills