This article provides a roundup of recent news stories related to employment. Team ZipRecruiter will share frequent updates.
- Amid difficulty filling vacancies, a McDonald’s restaurant in Florida is offering candidates $50 just to show up at an interview. Around the country, restaurants are offering higher pay and even signing bonuses to attract workers—or restricting service hours because of a lack of servers.
- Showing signs of a strengthening job market, last week’s unemployment claims fell to a new pandemic low point.
- Under a recent Colorado law, employers are required to give employees paid time off to get Covid-19 vaccinations.
- Ahead of the projected travel boom, American, United, JetBlue and Spirit Airlines plan to resume pilot hiring later in the year.
- Amid record activity volumes, JPMorgan says it is hiring more junior bankers and support staff to address burnout. The CEO of Goldman Sachs also recently addressed the topic of burnout among bankers and said the company is working to give bankers Saturdays off.
- Deel, a startup that provides payroll and compliance tools that make it easier for companies to employ remote workers and pay them in 120+ currencies with just one click, raised $156M after rapid growth in 2020.
- Among other state labor departments, New York’s labor department is asking people to give back overpayments of unemployment benefits that they received earlier in the year.
- Georgia’s labor department says unemployment insurance payments may be delayed as it battles cybersecurity threats and fraud attempts.
- Wayfair plans to open an office in Austin, TX and go on a hiring spree.