Located in the beautiful Sonoran Desert, Scottsdale, Arizona is bordered by Phoenix to the west and the McDowell Mountains on the east. Scottsdale is annually rated among the nation's most desirable communities to live in, visit and do business in. Check out more about Scottsdale.
To learn more about working for the City of Scottsdale and meet a few of our employees, click here.
About The Position
The Recreation Coordinator works with the Youth Development team to plan and coordinate a variety of youth development recreation programs for the community. Additionally, this position manages facility operations at the Horizon Community Center and collaborates with parks maintenance on park operations for Parks and Recreation.
Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate in a selection process to include a panel interview and an assessment exercise. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include:
* Criminal Background screening for the past 7 years
* Motor Vehicle Department Records Check
* Drug Screening
Education and Experience
* A Bachelor's degree in Recreation and Parks Maintenance, Public or Business Administration or a related field from an accredited educational institution.
* Two years full-time experience in professional parks and recreation work.
* Must have at least one year of Lead or Supervisory experience.
* An equivalent combination of education and job related experience may substitute for the educational requirements on a year-for-year basis.
* Preferred: Bilingual English/Spanish.
Licensing, Certifications and Other Requirements
* Must possess and maintain a valid, unrestricted Arizona driver's license with no major citations within the past 39 months prior to the start date.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on division/department/section
assignment. Essential Functions
Performs duties and responsibilities commensurate with assigned functional area which may include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following tasks:
* Plans, organizes, supervises and implements activities and special events within a specific park/recreational program area and/or community center.
* Prepares and maintains financial records and budgets to justify and support programs.
* Prepares and submits budgets for individual areas of responsibility and program areas.
* Supervises employees and coordinates personnel-related activities to include, but not limited to: training, approving work schedules, recommending/approving
personnel actions, coaching and counseling, establishing performance goals, and writing performance evaluations.
* Maintains awareness of new developments in the Parks and Recreation field and incorporates into programs and operations when feasible.
* Complies with all cash handling and cash safe procedures.
* Specialized functions may exist based on assignment and could include:
* Develops and facilitates all youth/teen part time recreation leader trainings.
* Oversees outlying neighborhood parks or offsite facilities.
* Submits program descriptions for grant funding opportunities.
* Coordinates Departmental volunteer program; helping hands and/or Youth Corps.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Required to lift up to 50 pounds.
* Occasionally transports and sets up recreational equipment.
* Operates standard office equipment and a motor vehicle.
Click here to review the entire job description.
The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.