Newton Public Schools Job Description Department: Student Services Job Title: Board Certified Behavior Analyst
(Social Emotional) FLSA Status:
(Exempt/Non-exempt) Unit A; ExemptReports to: Student Services Administrator/ Supervisor of Applied Behavior Analysis/ general description (1-3 lines describing role):
The Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA) provides direct services, development and direct supervision of Positive Behavior Supports (PBS) and/or Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) programming and/ in the district. Services may include: functional behavioral assessment, behavior plan development, development of individualized skill building curricula, staff and parent training, and consultation to all team members. The BCBA will provide these services both in the school setting to all students and also in home settings as indicated on IEPs. The BCBA will be required to work a schedule (10am – 6pm) that allows for service delivery in both the school and home setting.
* Master's degree Psychology/Education
or a related field
* Certification as a Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA)
* Experience working with students who have developmental disorders, autism spectrum disorders, or emotional/behavioral
* Experience working with students with behavioral challenges including self-injury and aggression
* Familiarity with curriculum development, Language Arts, Mathematics and Content Area knowledge base and facility with modifying curriculum to align with the Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks and Assessment System.
* Familiarity with a variety of therapies and ability to work effectively with people from a variety of treatment perspectives
* Ability to handle multitude of varying and complex issues
* Excellent oral and written communication skills
* Computer experience
* 5-years' experience working in the ABA/PBIS field
* 2 years' experience as a Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA)
* Certification in a Crisis Management program, certification as an instructor or interest in becoming an instructor
* Experience in conducting applied research
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES (not limited to):
* Provide ABA/PBIS services amd consultation to students at the elementary or secondary levels
* Conduct Functional Behavioral Assessments, write ABA programming, and assess performance via continuous data collection
* Provide continued review and refinement of positive behavior support programming and/or ABA programming in order to meet student goals
* Train staff in implementation of programming and oversee home programming
* Provide guidance to development of district programs
* Manage behavioral crisis situations: modeling interventions, staff training, crisis plan and behavior support plan development, and team and family follow up
* Work effectively with team members, professional and community contacts, school staff and parents
* Other duties as needed
Work Environment & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
* Work is performed in both school and home environments
* Must be physically able to respond (e.g. push, pull, or carry at least 60 lbs) to students who are physically unsafe and use physical restraints as part of a de-escalation process.
* Must be able to physically respond to students who have bolted from the building.
* Must be able to physically maintain a safe learning environment, including moving furniture in response to a crisis situation.
* Must be able to travel between multiple school and home locations
Date Updated: 10/22/17
Newton Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Newton Public Schools ensures equal employment opportunities regardless of race, creed, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability, or any other class as protected by law. The Newton Public Schools places a high value on diversity and active recruitment of qualified minority teachers and staff. Any individual needing assistance in making application for any opening should contact the district human resources office.