$40,680 to $61,020 Annually
Receives vehicle and equipment complaints and requests for repair from operators, makes preliminary diagnoses of problems, creates electronic work orders, schedules vehicles, assists operators in obtaining minor maintenance, and communicates information to the Shop Maintenance Coordinators and Fleet Supervisors.
1. Receives vehicles and equipment in need of repair from operators. Creates work orders and ensures customer write-up forms are complete with contact information and vehicle condition information.
2. Makes preliminary diagnoses of problems, identifies repairs needed, and estimates time needed to complete repairs. Checks vehicle and equipment warranty status and contacts appropriate service provider to schedule warranty repairs when required.
3. Makes estimate of downtime of vehicles and equipment based on shop workload and communicates information to operator and/or department.
4. Explains recommended service and repairs to operators.
5. May conduct road checks onvehicles and equipment when time permits.
6. Describes vehicle and equipment malfunctions on work orders so mechanics can diagnose repairs needed.
7. Ensures information in the fleet management database is current and complete when work orders are being corrected. Incomplete entries that cannot be corrected by the service writer will be reported to the Shop Maintenance Coordinator or Fleet Supervisor.
8. Coordinates with service provider for outside repairs for heavy-duty vehicles and equipment and for glass repair.
9. Monthly runs emissions testing report and sends out notifications to customers when emissions tests are due. Monthly runs reports for annual aerial device inspections and schedules inspections with outside service provider as needed.
10. Daily, checks open work orders and gives information to shift coordinators.
11. Weekly, performs quality control check of vehicles parked on the ready line to verify documentation is left in the vehicle identifying repairs completed, work order repair lines were closed or differed, and if parts are on order. Reports findings to shop coordinators and shop supervisor.
12. Answers questions from operators and departments regarding service and repairs.
13. Refers problems to Shop Maintenance Coordinators or Fleet Supervisor that cannot be resolved at Service Writer level.
14. Schedules PM services using established procedures and systems.
16. Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications & Special Requirements:
Two years of experience as a skilled mechanic in the areas of tune-ups, heavy gasoline and diesel equipment repair, electrical systems, industrial and construction equipment repair, and fire and rescue equipment repair. Direct customer contact experience, and A.S.E. certification is preferred.
Principles and practices of equipment repair including front-end alignment, emission testing, motorcycle repair or specialized public safety vehicles and equipment repair, gasoline and diesel powered heavy equipment repair.
Brake systems and hydraulic, electrical, driveline, gas and diesel engine, steering, cooling, and air conditioning systems components.
Computer and automated systems.
Customer service skills
Make preliminary diagnoses of problems and communicate them effectively to the Shop Maintenance Coordinator and/or the Fleet Supervisor.
Establish and maintain effective relationships with city staff and the public.
Communicate effectively, verbally, and in writing.
Maintain accurate and complete records of vehicles serviced.
*Any equivalent combination of training and experience, which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities, is qualifying.*
A valid Arizona driver license at time of application.
Applicants will be required to undergo drug/alcohol testing prior to employment and will be subject to further drug and alcohol testing throughout their period of employment in accordance with the City of Glendale Substance Abuse policy.
May occasionally lift objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
Reach overhead and walk, stand, bend or stoop on a regular basis.
Climb on and off of vehicles and equipment of various types and sizes.
Work is performed in anoffice setting under general direction.
*Job Title:* Service Writer
*Closing Date/Time:* Tue. 01/30/18 5:00 PM Mountain Time
*Salary:* $40,680.00 - $61,020.00 Annually
*Job Type:* Full Time
*Location:* Field Operations 6210 W. Myrtle Ave., Arizona