Benefits OfferedDental, Life, Medical, Vision
Compensation$110,000 to $140,000 per year
Why Work Here?
Fastest growing IT Services company, room to grow and expand
UGT is seeking a Facilities Design and Construction Project Manager to deliver world-class design and construction of facilities and infrastructure projects in support of world-changing scientific research. In this role, the project manager will be responsible for planning, developing, procurement, design, construction, and close-out/transition to operations of projects ($10k - $10M). Our client currently has multiple ongoing projects to improve scientific research capabilities and to maintain existing infrastructure, including offices, administrative spaces, scientific laboratories, cleanrooms, and campus-wide supporting utilities and infrastructure. In addition to core duties, responsibilities include the following: manage project scope, schedule, cost, and risks; gather, organize and disseminate engineering design specifications and requirements; integrate Environmental Safety & Health (ES&H) and building code compliance considerations in planning, design and construction of facilities. Oversee general contractor activities such as safety, preconstruction planning, construction quality, cost and schedule control, and construction conformance to design policies and engineering specifications.
This position will liaise with a broad range of client groups and stakeholders, including scientists and physicists, management and operations, finance and contracting, facilities engineers and technicians, and other project stakeholders. When supporting larger projects, this position may support a senior project manager or project director in managing engineering and design requirements, design and construction submittals, correspondence with project stakeholders and senior management, technical evaluations of bid proposals, development and review of construction cost estimates and project schedules, and similar tasks.
This position requires a personal and professional commitment to delivering safe, quality design and construction performance to support the science mission. This position reports to the Infrastructure & Major Capital Projects Group within the Facilities and Operations (F&O) Design and Construction Services (DCS) team.
Your specific responsibilities include:
- Manage complex projects with high performance risk, driving project(s) to completion. May manage more than one large project simultaneously. Work is typically comprised of 50% time contribution towards project leadership and 50% as a technical contributor.
- Perform the full range of project management cycle: initiating, planning, executing, monitoring and controlling, and closing. Assist project managers or independently lead and direct projects requiring high levels of functional integration and involving multiple disciplines to be managed.
- Development and management of critical path schedules
- Direct development of an action plan, and estimate requirements for resources, including management, labor, materials, and time required to complete project.
- Facilitate discussions and negotiations to drive recommendation consensus.
- Develop and help execute comprehensive change management strategy and communication plan relative to project scope and stakeholders; orchestrate and lead change management methodologies underlying project success.
- These elements typically delineate the project management involved at this level: Charter origination or scope identification and shaping, scope definition; # of disciplines/stakeholders to manage is across client-wide impact, and city, county constituents; risk-manage, control and report on risk associated with more complicated projects, affecting division or program as it relates to their project portfolio and risk sharing and control is skewed further to the project manager: project complexity involves synthesizing complex technical data and driving decisions; cumulative budget/scope accountability over $10M.
To be successful in this position you will bring:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering (especially Electrical and Mechanical) or Civil, Architecture, Construction Management, or related field and three years of experience in management of projects with moderate size/complexity and limited performance risk, including project planning, scheduling, tracking, and budgeting or a combination of education and relevant experience including:
- Assisting with or overseeing contract procurement, personnel selection and performance management, communications with contractors and vendors, contract negotiation, change control, and earned-value measurement.
- Performing project engineering and project controls of complex industrial or commercial projects and substantial experience in civil, building, mechanical, electrical, and utility construction.
- Testing, special inspection, permitting, and system commissioning.
- Various project delivery methods (including design-build and design-bid-build)
- Construction project estimating (parametric, unit costs, RS Means, etc.)
- Construction quality management and assurance. Prepare budget and cost estimates, along with work timetables
- Demonstrated ability to read, comprehend, and interpret multi-disciplinary construction engineering documents, including specifications and contract drawings.
- Evaluate and approve design and construction schedules in compliance with contract documents including the ability to productively engage in a cross-functional teams. This entails the ability to coordinate with multiple project stakeholders, guide the team to successful decision-making, and lead the team to successfully meet all project goals and deadlines; Collaborate with engineers, architects and other SME’s as needed.
- Demonstrated project management ability to employ integration of scope, time management, cost, quality, human resources communications, risk, and procurement components.
- Depth of knowledge in technical discipline/domain needed to deliver projects. Thorough knowledge of industry best practices in design and construction.
- Coordinate, evaluate, and process all RFIs, submittals and change orders in a timely manner and take responsibilities for any delays, emergencies and problems that can arise.
- Must demonstrate strongest commitment to construction safety, including construction safety knowledge, field experience, and commitment to proactive safety planning and compliance; Comply with safety and building codes as well as legal requirements
- Must be a team player, willing and able to work in a highly collaborative organization, striving to continuously improve delivery of design and construction through continuous process improvement.
- Passion for doing it right the first time, able to influence project partners to collaboratively and safely deliver high-quality projects on schedule and within budget.
- Ability to balance customer expectations by reporting project progress and budget in a clear and concise manner.
- Demonstrated resilience, diplomacy, influence, relationship building, and problem solving in various situations.
- Keen grasp of interpersonal and impact awareness. Explain contract and technical matter to others in a clear manner
- Highly effective written and oral communication skills to address a wide variety of audiences and be able to convey complex technical information and project objectives to various audiences, including construction contractors, architects and engineers, supported clients, financial and contracting personnel, senior leadership, and distinguished visitors.
In addition, preferred requirements include:
- Progressive project leadership experience with design and construction projects.
- Working knowledge of Primavera P6 or MS Project, and collaborative project-management software. Understanding Bluebeam Revu, Accumatica and ERP is a plus
- Pull-planning or Last Planner® System
- Experience with design and/or construction of electrical and mechanical infrastructure systems
- Experience with design and/or construction of specialized laboratories, clean rooms, MEP utilities and building systems, and experimental science facilities.
- Coordinating with and supporting various project stakeholders in a matrix organization.
- Successfully commissioning highly technical electrical and mechanical systems.
- Experience in managing technical facilities construction projects.
Certifications and Licenses:
- Project Management (PMI), Project Management Professional (PMP) preferred
- Engineer in training (EIT) or Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) certification, Professional Engineer (PE) license, or Registered Architect (RA) preferred.
- Effective Decisions: Uses job knowledge and solid judgment to make quality decisions in a timely manner.
- Self-Development: Pursues a variety of venues and opportunities to continue learning and developing.
- Dependability: Can be counted on to deliver results with a sense of personal responsibility for expected outcomes.
- Initiative: Pursues work and interactions proactively with optimism, positive energy, and motivation to move things forward.
- Adaptability: Flexes as needed when change occurs, maintains an open outlook while adjusting and accommodating changes.
- Communication: Ensures effective information flow to various audiences and creates and delivers clear, appropriate written, spoken, presented messages.
- Relationships: Builds relationships to foster trust, collaboration, and a positive climate to achieve common goals.
- Action Oriented: Takes on new opportunities and tough challenges with sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
- Plans and Aligns: Plans and prioritizes work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals.
Physical requirements and Working conditions:
- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
About United Global Technologies:
2013-2015 – UGT secured 400% growth over this 3-year period.
2012-2017 – Inc. Magazine has named UGT to its 500/5000 list of top IT service companies in the US for six straight years.
2018 – UGT has been honored as a Proven Performer in the ZeroChaos Performance Excellence Program.