This position will perform a range of functions involved with product management to build market share. This position is responsible for working closely with members of the technical marketing, marketing services, sales, and operations departments to ensure continuity in product offering and reinforce the company’s strategic goals. This individual must have the ability to communicate, orally and in writing, in a professional manner when dealing with employees, vendors and company contacts. This position will be responsible for product management of various product lines; the largest lines are the electrical and valve body kit and and component lines.
KEY FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Manage the complete product life cycle - product development, product launch, product changes and product discontinuation.
· Work with Sales and Purchasing to ensure company revenue and rebate goals are met while insuring customer satisfaction.
· Provide Purchasing with product specifications that meet the needs of our customers that are in line with company mission and values. Work with Purchasing to approve suppliers that can meet our requirements.
· Work with Technical and Training Managers to develop training presentations and modules for product lines that need additional emphasis with sales team or for new lines.
· Develop sales tools with the assistance of Marketing Services including sales kits, sell sheets, technical bulletins, product manuals, catalogs, and sales assist tools in order entry.
· Develop sales incentives and customer promotions for growth lines and lines that are not meeting sales expectations.
· Perform competitive analysis, product positioning for assigned product types/commodities. Understand competitive offerings for assigned lines and our competitive advantages.
· Work with marketing services, operations, distribution and outside vendors to develop packaging that is cost effective and appropriate for product lines.
· Continually monitor fill rates and work with inventory control, purchasing, and suppliers to improve performance.
· Work with Sales and Pricing Director to insure that GP targets are met with assigned product lines.
· Conduct field research/customer visits to understand issues/opportunities with assigned lines and make recommendations to correct issues and take advantages of opportunities.
· Report monthly on sales performance for product lines. Explain positive/negative variances and suggest actions to correct negative sales variances.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
· Automotive aftermarket and product management experience required; transmission experience desired.
· Background in product marketing, market research, competitor pricing, promotions, product launches and product rationalization.
· A minimum of two-five years relevant experience.
· Ability to work on and lead cross-functional teams.
· Work experience in a distribution and technical environment desired.
· Very good computer skills. High proficiency in Microsoft Office Programs (Excel abilities to do pivot tables, v-lookups, etc.).
· Lean/Six Sigma training preferred.
· Bachelor’s degree in Marketing (or related business discipline) preferred.