$85,000 - $95,000 annually
Mass.Gov hosts the web content for over 60 websites owned by state organizations and manages the state’s content management and web content hosting environments. We provide services to approximately 250 content authors throughout state government.
Mass.Gov seeks an individual with exceptional front end web development skills as well as experience integrating front end code into a web content management system. The individual will receive instruction on the Percussion Content Management System and will take a lead role in managing front end code within templates. The Front End Web Developer will be responsible for maintaining and continuing standards-based web development practices on Mass.gov. The candidate must also be familiar with Responsive Web Design and Mobile Development. Portfolio with previous examples of work required with resume submission.Duties:
- Develop and manage the overall front end HTML, CSS and JS for Mass.Gov. This front end is used by many state organizations.
- Develop a web front end for Mass.Gov that follows responsive design principles.
- Resolve browser compatibility and accessibility problems
- Develop templates in the CMS and enable content authors to publish more sophisticated content types in an independent way.
- Act as technical lead related to web front end activities.
- Work closely with business staff and accessibility specialists to ensure that deliverables meet business needs in an accessible way.
- Three years of Web Development experience
- Exceptional standards compliant front-end Web Development (HTML,CSS,JS) skills
- Familiarity with browser debugging and development tools such as Firebug
- Demonstrated understanding of usability, accessibility, security and web standards
- Understanding of responsive web design.
- Ability to hand-code HTML
- Strong working knowledge of a variety of current web technologies and common cross-browser-issues. Independent and self-motivated with strong initiative.
- Ability to learn new concepts and technologies quickly and independently.
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
- Strong verbal, written, interpersonal and organizational skills. Strong written English communication skills.
- Ability to perform cross-browser testing and remediate issues.
The following are desirable but not required. We are seeking a well-rounded individual with solid technical skills. Additional tasks may be assigned to the selected applicant based on their skills. Demonstrated knowledge and experience in any of these would be a plus and factor into our hiring decision:
- Two years of experience working with content management systems
- Understanding of search optimization and web usability
- Experience integrating front end code into web content management system templates
- Velocity templates
- XML / XSL / XSLT
- Linux server environments with shell experience
About The Massachusetts Office of Information Technology (MassIT):
MassIT, the Massachusetts Office of Information Technology, is the Commonwealth's lead agency for technology across the Executive Branch. As our team grows, we are looking for creative, innovative technologists to join us.
MassIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.