Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer and the Editor-in-Chief of the company, the Executive Editor is a full-time role based in Washington, DC. This role will be responsible for furthering the editorial and business objectives of an emerging media company. A successful candidate will desire a collaborative work environment, have excellent organizational and leadership skills, and strong problem-solving ability. If you have an editorial mind and possess the practical focus of an operations manager, this position is for you.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Coordinate all editorial for growing website, suite of newsletters and multiple podcasts.
· Manage contributor network editorial and payment schedule, in coordination with Director of Talent and Operations.
· Commission thoughtful and engaging stand-alone articles on politics, policy and culture that align with The Dispatch brand and mission.
· Evaluate over-the-transom submissions for tone and substance.
· Assist staff writers and contributors with all aspects of conception, execution and completion of stories.
· Scout new contributors and potential new hires.
· Supervise internal and external fact-checking operations.
Skills and Qualifications
· Background in editing, content management.
· Creative thinking on story ideas, and execution.
· Experience commissioning and editing pieces for publication.
· Exceptional copyediting skills, and attention to detail.
· Experience managing writers and editors.
· Background in reporting is a plus.
· Familiarity with American politics, media, conservatism/classical liberalism.
· Basic knowledge of podcasting/audio journalism is a plus.
· Understanding of the rapidly-changing digital media landscape, and various revenue strategies.
About The Dispatch:
The Dispatch is a newly-launched media company providing fact-driven news and commentary on politics, policy and culture – guided by conservative principles. In an information environment operating at hyperspeed, we aim to slow down the news cycle, to publish thoughtful and engaging articles meant to explain and inform. We bring a perspective – we’re conservatives, classical liberals, libertarians – but we’re fiercely independent, standing apart from media outlets increasingly engaged in partisan boosterism. The Dispatch has three primary editorial products – newsletters, podcasts and a website – and we’re building robust community and events programs. We aim to show that good journalism can be a good business. Read more about us at https://thedispatch.com/p/what-are-we-doing