Controller Job Purpose: Maximizes return on financial assets and improve by establishing financial policies, procedures, controls, and reporting systems.
Controller Job Duties:
- Manage the accounting and financial systems and records, including general ledger, monthly close and account reconciliations
- Prepares and analyzes detail monthly financial statements which summarize the company’s financial position, results of operations and cash flows
- Assist department with documenting finance and accounting processes and determining best practices.
- Prepares monthly management reports including budget and prior year comparison analysis
- Assists in the financial planning, due diligence and analysis of proposed corporate, financing and vendor transactions
- Prepares other company specific reports and analysis on an as needed basis
- Resolve daily operational accounting and reporting issues
- Analyze balance sheet to ensure accruals are properly stated, reconciliations properly prepared and support for balance sheet accounts are properly maintained
- Analyze expense trends to assure accruals are properly stated at month-end
- Work with external audit firm to plan and execute efficient year-end financial statement audit
- Work with external tax advisors in preparation of federal and state income tax, sales & use tax and property tax returns
- Engage actively in the areas of cost-saving efficiencies, process improvements, internal controls, and compliance
- Ensure proper communication to CEO and VP of business and accounting issues or changes as they occur
- Handles day to day book keeping and financial operation needs of the Company.
- Provides status of financial condition by collecting, interpreting, and reporting financial data.
- Prepares special reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Manages and administers commissions, promotions, payroll, and other tracking-based payables.
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating future legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; filing financial reports; advising management on needed actions.
- Maintains financial staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees.
- Maintains financial staff job results by coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Protects operations by keeping financial information and plans confidential.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Skills/Qualifications: Managing Processes, Financial Software, Developing Standards, Audit, Accounting, Corporate Finance, Tracking Budget Expenses, Financial Skills, Analyzing Information , Developing Budgets, Performance Management
- Must have minimum of five years general ledger accounting experience involving entire income statement and balance sheet analysis. This should include: preparation of month-end work papers, account reconciliation and analysis for both balance sheet and income statement accounts.
- Must have good interpersonal and communication skills to interact with vendors, customers and company management.
- Self-starter with the ability to manage several tasks simultaneously and work effectively in a dynamic environment.
- Must be detail-oriented, yet possessing the ability to see the big picture and have the ability and vision to make recommendations regarding procedural improvements.
- Strong organization skills.