“This is a position with great potential for the right candidate!”
Arts & Culture Editor
Do you write with a strong editorial voice, have all the opinions, and thrive in a collaborative environment? Great, come work with a sharp team striving to make a magazine that delights and challenges readers in every issue. Portland Monthly magazine is seeking a creative, self-motivated, detail-oriented journalist for an opening in the position of Arts & Culture Editor on our Editorial Team in Portland, Oregon. The Arts Editor will join our team to write, edit, and oversee the magazine’s monthly arts section as well as write narrative features, write and edit service features, and contribute content for our online platforms. Plus, you’ll oversee our editorial internship program. The ideal candidate is a reporter first, with a genuine passion for the arts beat—music, performing arts, books, visual arts, film, and more—as well as healthy curiosity about institutions, nonprofits, and businesses that help support it. Portland Monthly is committed to building a diverse and inclusive newsroom: applicants of all backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
· Work with Portland Monthly’seditorial team to produce an award-winning monthly magazine, from contributing story ideas and managing story packages to researching and writing narrative features, brainstorming live events, and representing the magazine at media and community functions.
· Manage all aspects of Portland Monthly magazine’s Arts & Culture section, including research and story selection, commissioning and editing of staff and freelance articles, coordinating with art department, and writing/editing online coverage including breaking news.
· Bring a lively, urgent tone to arts coverage and cultivate relationships with the arts community.
· Contribute to the magazine’s general coverage outside the arts and culture beat.
· 2–4 years experience in reporting and/or editing for magazines or other print publications.
· Proven ability to conceptualize, write, and edit narrative features, multipage service packages, and arts listings sections.
· Annoyingly high standards for accuracy and quality.
· Firm grounding in journalism ethics and values.
· Knack for mentoring emerging writers and interns
· Prior arts beat reporting a plus, as is knowledge of food, travel, outdoors, and lifestyle in the Pacific Northwest. None are essential if you are a smart, dedicated reporter/culture sponge.
To apply, please send a cover letter, résumé, and clips to email@example.com with the subject line “Portland—Arts Editor.” No phone calls, please. We will contact you if your skills and experience are a good fit for our team.
About SagaCity Media:
SagaCity Media Inc. is the parent company of the preeminent lifestyle media brands in Houston, Seattle, Portland, Sarasota, Aspen, Vail, and Park City. In their respective markets, Houstonia, Seattle Met, Portland Monthly, and Sarasota Magazine produce the largest-selling magazines, most-visited local lifestyle websites, and industry-dominating numbers of engaged social media followers. SagaCity also proudly produces web content and publications elsewhere, many of them award-winning, for conventions and visitors’ bureaus or lodging associations in such markets as Portland, Seattle, Aspen, Washington state, Eastern Oregon, Bellevue, Tacoma, Galveston, Aurora, Eugene and Vancouver.
SagaCity Media, Inc. is an EEO employer. For more information about us, please visit: http://sagacitymedia.com/
About SagaCity Media:
SagaCity Media is the parent company of the preeminent lifestyle media brands in Houston, Seattle, Portland, Sarasota, Aspen, Vail and Park City. Our in-house publications — Houstonia, Seattle Met, Portland Monthly, and Sarasota Magazine — produce the best-selling magazines, most-visited local lifestyle websites, and industry-dominating numbers of engaged social media followers in their respective markets. Our custom division creates award-winning print publications and web content for a variety of clients, such as conventions and visitors’ bureaus and other marketing organizations.
SagaCity Media, Inc. is an EEO employer. For more information about us, visit sagacitymedia.com.