This position is responsible for the installation, configuration, optimization, security, audit, and ongoing support of the SQL Server infrastructure encompassing all non-production and production environments. These responsibilities includes identifying, researching, and resolving technical problems, maintaining documentation on respective database systems, design and implantation of new systems and respective databases, database backup and recovery, as well as performance tuning.
The incumbent is directly accountable to ensure database systems achieve the highest possible uptime, data quality, and utilizes industry best practices wherever possible. Additionally, the employee will be accountable to ensure the database environments are documented, secure and are proactively monitored and maintained.
We are looking for people that enjoy the opportunity to work within a stable small organization that is growing quickly. We highly value our employees and believes in continually providing the tools that support for career growth.
- Administration and management of SQL Server databases in the Development, QA & Production environments including SQL Server Integration, Reporting, and Analysis Services. (Some databases are still on 2005 and 2008. Moving to 2012).
- Responsible for all major database components of SQL Server and has strong knowledge of the various interrelationships between major system components including networking, storage, server, operating system, cluster, authentication, application code, and disaster recovery technology.
- Proactive monitoring of databases both from a performance and capacity management perspective.
- Has thorough knowledge of administrative and technical resources available and a demonstrated ability to use those resources for problem determination, product enhancements, and other technical issues related to the SQL Server components being administered
- Executes and provides feedback on the tactical architecture's implementation as defined by the team manager under the guidance of team roadmaps.
- Troubleshooting and handling all database related issues and tracking them through to resolution.
- Participates in the on-call rotation for supporting the operational platform.
- Executes project and internal initiative responsibilities as assigned or delegated.
- Authors and maintains operational documentation, best practices, and run books for the operational platform.
- 6 – 8 years of experience in SQL Server database administration and support of enterprise level environments and experience with SQL Server Integration & Reporting services.
- Experience handling and managing both OLTP and OLAP databases in a real time production environment with sizes around 250+ GB.
- Extensive knowledge of platform specific advanced database features such as SQL clustering, database encryption, SSIS ETL, transactional replication, database mirroring, and log shipping.
- Experience with database maintenance activities such as backup/recovery & capacity monitoring/management.
- Experience with HA/Failover technologies such as Clustering, SAN, Mirroring & Replication.
- Experience collaborating with development teams on physical database design activities and performance tuning.
- Experience in troubleshooting and resolving database integrity issues, performance issues, blocking/deadlocking issues, and connectivity issues.
- Experience in performance tuning, query optimization using Performance Monitor, SQL Profiler and other related monitoring/troubleshooting tools.
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve, organize and prioritize multiple conflicting priorities.
- Experience in managing and making software deployments/changes in real time production environments.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of data modeling, Business Intelligence, data warehouse concepts.
- 4 year degree in computer related field or equivalent experience in computer systems required.