Your feedback helps keep ZipRecruiter safe.
Learn more about how to recognize common online scams
Title: Director, Named Peril Products
Location: London, NYC or Los Angeles
Team: Strategic Initiatives
Reports to: VP, Strategic Initiatives
☒ Full-time or ☐ Part-time
☒ Exempt or ☐ Non-exempt
Do you want to tackle the liability protection gap in a fascinating growth market with a real societal impact? Then this is the role for you!
The Praedicat Strategic Initiatives team is newly created, responding to the increasing demand for new product innovation in a market primed for growth. This role will work with various clients – reinsurers, insurers, legacy carriers, captives, investment funds, corporates, brokers and MGAs – to facilitate the creation of a robust market, unlocked by Praedicat’s cutting edge risk models and insights, reducing asymmetry of information across the value chain.
There is no “typical” project, as our market is evolving fast. You’ll work with clients to transform risk management, risk reduction and risk transfer.
Praedicat is a funded InsurTech startup headquartered in Los Angeles that is delivering innovative new “foresight modeling” to commercial clients built on cutting-edge big data analytics and technologies. We are looking to hire a Director, Named Peril Products, who will report to the Vice President, Strategic Initiatives. To be successful, you will be expected to develop a thorough understanding of Praedicat’s clients, proprietary analytics and products in order to determine how to help the industry receive maximum value from Praedicat’s analytics. You will also be expected to listen to prospects and clients and think creatively about how Praedicat’s analytics can solve their problems through new product innovation.
· Making a difference: Our products deliver data from peer-reviewed science into the workflow of business so that our clients can use it to make better decisions – cleaner technologies, safer products, a healthier environment.
· Multidisciplinary collaboration: We work in teams with smart people from multiple disciplines to develop creative solutions.
· Hard problems and cutting-edge technologies: Our data science, modeling and software engineering challenges are hard and innovative solutions are necessary.
· Provide support and solutions to clients during the full transaction lifecycle (from conceptualization through post-transaction services)
· Support pre-sales work from discovery through contract execution for new Praedicat named peril product development clients, including presentations and workshops with senior executives
· Support the design and execution of Praedicat’s go-to-market strategy for named peril products, including supporting business development efforts alongside senior team members
· Perform transaction risk analyses, trigger design, event definition and placement services. For example: Help a global industrial company understand its exposure, implement a program to help it better manage exposure and transfer risk via new parametric or indemnity triggers to capital markets / (re)insurance
· Collaborate closely with Praedicat’s modeling leadership and analysts to explain new product concepts and deliver customized calculations in acceptable formats to clients
· Work with clients to help them understand the correlation and aggregation of risk across new named peril products and existing portfolios
· Serve as point of contact for clients for named peril product development work, working with account management and sales team to evolve the strategic direction of the account
· Support clients during model validation and new model change management process
· Determine account-level strategies for developing the market demand for new named peril products by helping clients understand their existing protection gap and offering solutions
· Perform market studies and analyses for demand generation and for scoping named peril products
· Continuously analyze and research existing liability risk transfer products for clients to determine how they can be improved by leveraging Praedicat’s model
· Collaborate with Praedicat’s internal product team to improve Praedicat’s products to better support the named peril product development and aggregation use case
· Bachelor’s degree or higher in a quantitative subject:
· 5 to 10 years of relevant work experience. Examples include:
· (Re)insurance pricing and product structuring (liability preferred)
· ILS (property cat, terrorism, etc.)
· Consultant working directly with risk managers at corporations, casualty product development departments or capital markets
· Risk model vendor working in product development / structuring
· Client-facing cat modeling role (capital markets, technical underwriting, pricing)
· Primary or reinsurance broker with a product and market development focus
· Fund manager
· Previous experience working with risk managers and/or captives
· 5+ years of experience in a client-facing role
· (Re)insurance market experience
· Strong mathematical and statistical skills with ability to understand and explain complex probabilistic modeling concepts
· Previous experience structuring new insurance products (ILS, etc.)
· Previous experience running and interpreting catastrophe models (modeling and analyzing portfolios)
· Ability to employ a consultative approach with clients
· Executive presence, strong communication and presentation skills
· Able to confidently drive forward and execute strategies in ambiguous and unstructured environments
· Strong team player; ability to actively collaborate
· Interested in participating in a range of projects
· Interest in man-made risks facing society (chemicals, climate change, etc.)
· Previous liability market experience and understanding of market dynamics and current practices
· Sales aptitude
· Coding experience highly preferred (SQL, Python, C++, etc)
· High degree of creativity
· Enthusiastic, proactive and inquisitive personality
· Solid project management skills
· Experience supporting global accounts and managing relationships with senior executives
· Interest in both corporate and (re)insurance markets
Position is based in New York, London or Los Angeles; expectation of domestic and international travel (New York, Boston, Bermuda, London, Paris, Zurich, Munich and other cities).
To apply, send your cover letter and resume as one .pdf via ZipRecruiter.
Incentive Compensation and Benefits
Praedicat believes in a work-life balance that is supported by a competitive compensation and benefits package. All full-time permanent employees are eligible for benefits such as:
· Participation in Praedicat’s Stock Incentive Plan offering equity-based incentives for employees
· Annual equity bonuses tied to individual and company performance
· The ability to contribute to a Praedicat-sponsored 401(k) plan
· Medical insurance coverage, with both HMO and PPO options, as well as dental and vision coverage
· Allotment of PTO (paid time off) and ten official holidays each year
Praedicat, Inc. is dedicated to improving the underwriting and management of liability catastrophe risk. Our multidisciplinary team leverages cutting-edge analytics to solve problems for clients. Our patent-pending technology delivers information extracted from scientific literatures on emerging risk. We analyze the risk with a structured approach incorporating applied legal reasoning and economics. Our analysis is focused to directly inform core business functions of liability insurers and reinsurers. Praedicat is developing a comprehensive system of software products, Litagion® Risk Management, designed to bring 21st Century science-based risk analytics to liability insurance. Praedicat was created by the RAND Corporation and Risk Management Solutions, Inc. after the two companies collaborated on research and development to improve the identification and prioritization of emerging risks using modeling and cutting-edge computer science. Praedicat is an independent corporation launched in March 2012.
Praedicat is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment with Praedicat is determined on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.