The Playtex strategic business unit, which is a division of Energizer Personal Care, is a leading manufacturer and distributor of a diverse portfolio of consumer and personal products. Playtex is focused on Sun Care products, including Banana Boat, Hawaiian Tropic, and Private Label brands; Infant Care products, including spill-proof cups, baby bottles, pacifiers, and Diaper Genie; Feminine Care products, including Gentle Glide and Sport tampons; and Skin Care products, including Wet Ones and Gloves.
Under the direction of the packaging manager, develop packaging for Energizer’s personal care products. Serve as a packaging developer in support of Innovation, cost savings and business continuity (support)projects.
This position will serve as a contributing member of cross functional business teams. Support the development of product concepts, concept feasibility. Packaging Engineer
The individual will monitor progress against timelines and due dates.
Skills and Abilities Required
- Manage assigned Package Development projects, working with Brand and project teams, to meet category objectives and project ship to trade dates.
- Hold discussions during product team meetings, communicate technical issues and details to the project team and management.
- Provide packaging options. Develop, engineer, and test packaging components and modify as necessary to meet: consumer requirements, functional parameters, cost targets, manufacturing & shipping requirements.
- Provide technical input to package design process and assure package designed for manufacturing acceptability, while realizing desirable aesthetic elements.
- Execute new package designs and perform package component testing and qualification, working with suppliers, from engineering prints to making models & prototypes, through to unit and production tooling.
- Work effectively with Package Engineering, Suppliers, and Manufacturing to assure the creation of timely functional specifications.
- Write specifications in EPC specification data base system.
- Develop strong relationships and communicate effectively to manage projects with Brand Managers, Product Development, Purchasing, Supply Chain, Manufacturing, Suppliers, and EPC global counterparts.
- Keep abreast of developments across appropriate packaging and manufacturing technologies.
- Travel domestically and internationally as required on assigned projects. Travel requirements are 10 to 20% per month, which may include overnight travel, local travel to Allendale NJ, Dover, DE as well as other manufacturing, contract manufacturing and component manufacturing sites
- Must be able to effectively organize and manage workflow of multiple projects and priorities in a dynamic environment.
- Must be able to demonstrate a general understanding of project management to realize the order, importance, and impact of appropriate project activities and maintain Packaging commitments to project scheduling.
- Must be able to communicate issues effectively to technical and non-technical personnel. (Brand, Finance, Creative, Manufacturing)
- Must be able to work effectively with regional and/or global teams composed of individuals with technical and non-technical backgrounds
- BS or MS in Mechanical, Package or Chemical Engineering, or equivalent degree.
- Minimum of 2 years of package development experience required, ideally with consumer products companies.
- Knowledge of packaging components and properties such as; aerosols, pumps, closures, bottles, tubes, flexible films and lamination, paperboard (folding cartons, cards, labels) plastic processing (injection and extrusion blow molding and cast and blown films
- Experience dealing with packaging component suppliers.
- Experience with standard test methods as ASTM, GMPs OTC test and protocols..
The Playtex strategic business unit, which is a division of Energizer Personal Care, is a leading manufacturer and distributor of a diverse portfolio of consumer and personal products.
Playtex is focused on Sun Care products, including Banana Boat, Hawaiian Tropic, and Private Label brands; Infant Care products, including spill-proof cups, baby bottles, pacifiers, and Diaper Genie; Feminine Care products, including Gentle Glide and Sport tampons; and Skin Care products, including Wet Ones and Gloves.