Combines a number of technical skills and experience across several IT disciplines, such as:
• Database design, diagnosis, tuning, and troubleshooting (primary job functions)
• Software development (for interfacing with developers, nothing beats having walked in the other guy's shoes)
• Configuration management (for automating some types of deploy/maintenance work)
• Bottleneck analysis, in both physical and virtual environments
• Recovery planning, from the database to the application
Must also present strong soft skills for a team-oriented environment:
• Excellent internal customer service
• Holistic problem solving
• Sense of responsibility and follow-through
• Can-do attitude
• An eye for extrapolating possible side-effects from a known event, and vice versa
• More collaborative than heroic in problem-solving
• Enough experience and maturity to enjoy getting to shed turf-guarding, rejoice that you are not expected to know everything, and get straight problem-solving within a cross-functional team
• Help teammates with requirements analysis by asking probative questions when given a vague request
• Care and feeding of database systems, primarily Postgres, some Oracle and SQL Server.
• Must have or be willing to learn a deep understanding of Postgres behavior and internals.
• Work with development teams to design, implement, troubleshoot, monitor, and improve corporate projects.
• 1-3 years relevant experience.
• Experienced Linux user.
• Database administration (Postgres strongly preferred), including: installation, initialization, authentication, catalog navigation, query tuning, system tuning, resource contention analysis, backup and recovery, standby, replication, etc.
• Database design, to support developers in making scalable decisions in schema design and data processing models.
• Some experience with C, Perl and/or Bash is HIGHLY desirable.
About NexSys Group, Inc.:
NexSys Group was founded by a group of industry professionals committed to bringing IT and Finance staffing solutions together for organizations desiring excellence in delivery and customer service - serving as their nexus for talent.
At NexSys Group, we take all of our relationships seriously including employees, consultants, and prospective candidates. We work hard to present the industry's very best career opportunities, and we work equally hard treating our people as the valued partners they are. NexSys Group is committed to a relationship with you based on mutual respect and the utmost professionalism.
We take the time to form a personal relationship with you. There are no faceless stacks of paper at NexSys Group. We work to understand your career and personal goals, and take the time to present potential opportunities accordingly, not to just mine buzzwords off your resume.
We keep the lines of communication open, including full disclosure on all opportunities, as well as timely updates regarding candidacy status and status of the hiring process.
We invest in our people to ensure they are optimally marketed for appropriate opportunities, including resume positioning, extensive coaching and briefing for interviews, and more.
We are committed to long-term partnerships and quality. We take in the pride in the fact that a successful placement is not the end of our relationship, but a new beginning.
We enthusiastically help you transition into your new role and continue to invest in our relationship on an on-going basis.
If this sounds like what you are looking for, we'd love to hear from you!