We are seeking a dynamic hands-on electrical engineer to work in our collaborative engineering and manufacturing environment in Lake Forest, California. In this role, you’ll design, develop, and test microcontroller based fire and gas detection systems. You’ll utilize your project management skills, work in cross-functional teams in a collaborative environment and provide technical expertise while reporting to the New Product Development Manager. If this sounds like an exciting opportunity, then we want to hear from you! Additional responsibilities include:
Description of duties and responsibilities:
- Define and design embedded system architectures. Lead the detailed design, development, testing, and completion of assigned projects, including analog and digital electronics, embedded systems (hardware and firmware), mechanicals, optics, etc.
- Design, develop and support projects per approved requirements – performance, schedule, development costs, cost of goods sold, etc. Oversee, mentor, and direct work of junior technical staff, external consultants and suppliers (as needed).
- Conduct thorough design testing to ensure that project requirements are met and design is frozen at the conclusion of the development stage.
- Propose solutions, assess concepts, evaluate new technologies, and conduct design trade-offs.
- Ensure that technical documentation is developed per internal MSA and external requirements (agencies, customers, etc.).
- Apply appropriate standard processes and procedures throughout the development project to enable efficient product development and agency compliance – including design reviews, issue tracking, safety assessments, and thorough documenting of key activities.
- Provide complete lifecycle engineering – supporting the products designed, similar products, and products relating to area of expertise.
- Establish project plans, flow-down requirements, and develop technical documentation.
Special knowledge, skills and abilities required:
- Strong hands-on experience with analog and digital electronics, embedded systems (hardware and firmware development using ANSI C and Machine Language), advanced electronic system architectures, and microcontroller families such as: Microchip dsPIC30F, TI MSP430, TI TMS320, and Freescale 68HC11.
- Solid proficiency in the use of simulation and design development tools (Code Composer Studio, MPLAB, LabView, Matlab, SPICE, Altium Designer, Confluence / Jira, etc.)
- Strong hands-on experience with industrial communication protocols: 4-20mA analog output, Modbus, HART, etc.
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
- Solid computer skills including Microsoft related programs such as Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.
- Strong organizational and project management skills including detail orientation and commitment to developing robust, customer friendly designs.
- Proven ability to work in a collaborative team environment.
- Excellent communication skills – including written, verbal, technical and non-technical presentation skills.
- Ability to travel up to 10% domestically and internationally.
- Familiarity with laboratory equipment such as oscilloscopes and logic analyzers.
Education and experience required:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related engineering discipline, preferably from an ABET accredited program.
- This position is available at two different career levels based upon experience, education, etc.:
- Level I: 3 years relevant experience
- Level II: 5 years relevant experience
- MS degree may be substituted for up to 2 years of relevant experience.
- PhD may be substituted for up to 4 years of equivalent experience.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- MS Electrical Engineering.
- Experience with industrial instrumentation and working in a structured product development environment.
- Experience with hazardous location equipment design and certification agency testing standards.