The Senior Buyer position manages the execution and merchandising of products in the assigned categories. He/she strikes an effective balance between short term and long term initiatives and responds constructively to new demands, priorities and challenges. The Senior Buyer ensures feedback from customers and business partners is leveraged to identify improvement opportunities and company initiatives and is responsible for supervising Buyer Assistant positions.
- Develop and execute business strategy to maximize the profitability of assigned categories.
- Communicate and manage the vision of the organization/department and business needs to team and provide timely updates and information to team and team leaders.
- Research business and marketplace trends, analyze competitor products and customer needs to increase the company’s share of total market.
- Draw astute conclusions from financial reports and analysis. Understand critical issues and the patterns, trends and root causes.
- Partner with all levels to form and train merchandising team as the needs of the business dictate including Associate Buyers/Assistant Buyers.
- Manage financials including open-to-buy planning and total profit and loss in all areas of responsibility, includes managing pricing, inventory control, net margin, vendor profitability and total profitability.
- Prepare and develop, plan and implement pricing strategies
- Manage the entire cycle of a product’s trend curve by making effective tactical and strategic merchandising and marketing decisions.
- Strategically and appropriately plan and execute product assortment and manage the process of product evaluation and selection.
- Maintain strong partnerships with existing vendors and proactively source new vendors/suppliers.
- Troubleshoot irregularities with vendors and manage negotiations on key issues that include availability of new product, distribution of merchandise, timely deliveries, RTVs and vendor allowances.
- 7+ years of retail buying experience and experience managing minimum of 2 team members required.
- Experience with Food, Liquors, Tobacco is a huge plus.
- Experience managing and working with multiple vendors.
- Experience managing/planning minimum $25 million retail business.
- Experience of buying for a retailer with multiple outlets preferred.
- Experience in Travel Retail preferred.
- Experience in logistics a plus.
- Experience buying from sophisticated multi-nationals vendors required.
- Demonstrated expert level skills and knowledge required in negotiating, measuring key performance indicators and financial analysis, including Retail math.
- Advanced level skills in MS Excel and Outlook.
TO BE CONSIDERED, please provide your salary history WITH cover letter.
To ensure that we continue to hire competent, ethical and trustworthy individuals, all candidates will be required to complete a thorough Port Authority Security background check prior to receiving any final offer of employment from International Shoppes. We offer benefits and paid time off.
*We are an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
About International Shoppes:
International Shoppes is a specialty retailer that has, for more than 60 years, operated airport retail and duty free facilities. Our Company is all about delivering the best service and product assortment to the traveling public.
International Shoppes operates the duty free concessions throughout the Northeast including JFK International Airport, Boston Logan and Philadelphia International Airport. In addition, we operate multiple branded shops throughout JFK including boutiques from Cartier, Hermes, Salvatore Ferragamo, Mont Blanc, Bvlgari, Hugo Boss, Estee Lauder, Clinique and L'Occitane, as well as our own multi-branded concept store called "iS Style."
Our subsidiary, Diplomatic Duty Free Shops of New York, services the Diplomatic Communities by offering the same great products that we sell at our airport locations to local diplomats. We currently service diplomats in Manhattan, NY and Washington, D.C.
International Shoppes operates from a corporate office and warehouse facility located centrally in Valley Stream, NY.