The Indiana Veterans' Home (IVH) is seeking a Food Service Supervisor 5 to be responsible for supervising the food production and dining areas at the Indiana Veterans’ Home. Additionally, the Food Service Supervisor manages all individuals in the following classifications: Cook 3, Food Service Worker 4, and Baker. The successful candidate functions under minimal supervision and reports to Food Service Director.
Hours required per week: 37.5 (Full Time)
• Trains and supervises cooks in proper food preparation.
• Tests new recipes and/or supervises testing.
• Reviews, evaluates, counsels, and disciplines work of subordinates.
• Makes menu substitutions.
• Trains and supervises new staff members.
• Places food orders for items as assigned.
• Ensures trays going to residents are correct and delivered to nursing floor in timely manner.
• Assists with dietary orientation.
• Conducts food service sanitation inspections.
• Conducts test trays weekly.
• All other duties assigned.
Two (2) years of experience in large-scale food preparation in an institution, commercial firm, or the armed forces; plus one (1) additional year of supervisory experience in these areas. A combination of experience and accredited college training may be considered. (Concentration in Dietetics; Food Service Management; Foods and Nutrition; or Restaurant, Hotel, or Institutional Management preferred.)
• Working knowledge of methods, materials, equipment used in quantity food service.
• Ability to effectively supervise and motivate dietary personnel.
• Ability to make menu substitutions.
• Ability to supervise the preparation of food and food service for resident meals according to established menu and standardized recipes.
A mandatory pre-employment drug screen and criminal history background check will be conducted on the applicant recommended for this position.
The State of Indiana offers a comprehensive benefit package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, retirement plans and accrued leave. Equal Opportunity Employer.