Sorry, this job was closed 4 years ago. See all open Platform Engineer Jobs in Honolulu, HI
Sr Platform Engineer - Data Center (102179)
Job Title: Sr Platform Eng - Data Center
Location: Oahu; 1177 Bishop St
Reference #: 102179
Senior Platform Engineer - Data Center Development position will bring practical knowledge, technical depth and strong server support to the Architecture & Platform Engineering group of Hawaiian Telcom; firmly focused on innovation and research. The qualified individual should be able to work both in a cooperative team environment as well as individually to create and support physical and virtual environments for network and Data Center applications. Ability to provide final tier support of both a lab and production environment(s) is also expected. A strong degree of creative, "out of box" thinking, flexibility to expand oneself outside of the job description, attention to detail and self-motivation are required. The candidate must also possess strong communication skills to broker inter-department engagements and leadership ability to accomplish company-wide objectives. Additionally, ability to define and document complex designs and architecture standards is mandatory.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
10% Administration support for Red Hat/Solaris/Windows servers, the addition and deletion of user accounts, machine builds and installs, file system and volume creation/management, hardware and OS additions and changes, system monitoring, planning and engineering standards, capacity planning and resource management.
35% Interpret high level architecture designs and utilize it to develop engineering technical specifications. This includes scalable hypervisor and related management systems for deployment of private and public cloud infrastructures as well as solution oriented designs of data center networks, storage networks and server infrastructures.
20% Configure and manage the lab environment for development and support activities.
20% Troubleshoot technical issues with a wide range of systems and applications such as SQL, VMware, Hyper-V, File servers, etc. Provide 24x7 on-call support as part of rotating team coverage. Create process documentation and deliver training on various technical topics.
15% Identifies and works on a broad range of difficult problems, exercising independent judgment and using methods and techniques that are consistent with current relevant practices and policies. Proficient at anticipating or discovering customer needs; presenting options and solutions that add value and are consistent with policies, procedures, and business processes. Assist the architects to plan future hardware and virtual environments in support of business needs.
This job will have no supervisory responsibilities.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to other's views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; supports everyone's efforts to succeed. Ability to lead projects as the business dictates.
- Technical skills - includes product knowledge, business acumen and competitive knowledge. Continually grow wholesale technical capability and increase market and competitive intelligence.
- Problem Solving - identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; accountable for decisions and actions, commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on-time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
- Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity; meets challenges with resourcefulness; generates suggestions for improving work; develops innovative approaches and ideas; presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
Education and/or Experience:
- Master's degree from an accredited, college or university in Information Systems, Computer Engineering, or Computer Science or equivalent multiple degrees in any of the above listed disciplines and one (1) year experience, or
- Bachelor's degree with five (5) years' experience required.
- Minimum of five (5) years' experience on Linux/Windows System Administration preferred.
- Minimum of three (3) years' experience on virtual environment administration required.
- Minimum five (5) years' experience with managing Microsoft/RedHat servers in an enterprise environment required.
- Strong technical experience with VMWare ESX(i) and Microsoft Hyper-V.
- Administer enterprise backup software such as NetBackup.
- Operating systems- Microsoft Windows NT/2k3/XP/2k8 (R2)/2012, Linux, Solaris.
- Working knowledge on SAN devices, scalability constraints and design.
- Working knowledge on network devices, scalability constraints and design.
- Working knowledge on server hardware, scalability constraints and design.
- Background in blade server environments; Cisco, HP or Dell.
- Strong technical competency in administration and/or design of Microsoft Exchange environments
- Strong technical competency in administration and/or design of Microsoft SQL and Oracle database servers
- Strong technical competency in administration and/or design of Active Directory
- Any scripting language experience to monitor system performance on myriad of data center infrastructure/environments
Certificates and/or Licenses:
- Cisco Data Center
- CCNA; CCNP; CCIE is desirable
- MCSA Server 2012; MCSE Private Cloud and Server Infrastructure; MCITP in Server Administration, Exchange or Virtualization desirable
- Demonstrated working knowledge in MS Office (Word, Outlook, Excel & PowerPoint).
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Must have strong background in Windows/Linux clustering and standards based designs and strong technical experience with VMware ESX(i) and Microsoft Hyper-V. Must have experience in blade server environments; Cisco UCS, HP C7000 and Dell blade servers.
- Must have the ability to work in a fast changing environment and flexibility to adapt. Ability to expand oneself outside of their "comfort zone." Learn and administer Oracle and SQL Server databases used by the network applications. Must stick to the standards and plan for the hardware to meet the business requirements for the next 3 to 5 years
- Generates creative solutions; translates concepts and information into designs; uses feedback to modify designs; applies design principles; demonstrates attention to detail and provides support to internal and external customers relative to system administration, internal processes and practices. Attention to detail and a focus on developing and delivering a solution within the confines of business requirements is a must
- Daytime tour of duty; occasional scheduled night and weekend work.
- May require working alone.
- Work may be performed in an enclosed area lacking windows.
- May require late hours and weekends to complete assignments and projects.
- Indoor work - Exposed to indoor conditions, dust, noise, dirt, heat, various lighting conditions, etc.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities, functions and tasks.
- Requires leveraging leadership and a variety of technical skills to work across internal groups as well as with vendors and industry partners to support service offerings and infrastructure capabilities.
- Requires alignment with the Company's F.A.S.T. Values
- Fierce Resolve - be Focused, Determined, Overcome the toughest challenges
- Aloha Spirit - Heartfelt, Kind, Serve with warmth and humility
- Superior Service - Exceptional, Extraordinary, Strive to provide the very best
- Trustworthy - Honest, Reliable, Make promises a reality
- Requires alertness and attention to detail
- Work may be performed at various locations under varying conditions.
- Requires considerable standing, sitting, and reading paper documentation and electronic communications.
- May require some travel to various locations throughout the State of Hawaii so must have a valid Hawaii State Driver's License.
- Required to meet multiple priorities and project due dates. May require late hours and weekends to complete assignments and projects.
About Hawaiian Telcom:
Hawaiian Telcom (Nasdaq:HCOM), headquartered in Honolulu, is Hawai'i's technology leader, providing integrated communications, broadband, data center and entertainment solutions for business and residential customers. With roots in Hawai'i beginning in 1883, the Company offers a full range of services including Internet, video, voice, wireless, data network solutions and security, colocation, and managed and cloud services supported by the reach and reliability of its next generation fiber network and a 24/7 state-of-the-art network operations center. With employees statewide sharing a commitment to innovation and a passion for delivering superior service, Hawaiian Telcom provides an Always OnSM customer experience.
Posted 4 years ago
Browse Platform Engineer jobs in Honolulu, Hawaii:
National Energy Solutions Development Engineer III
Johnson Controls International in Honolulu, HI
Posted 16 days ago on Experteer
Lead IT Systems Engineer
CenturyLink in Honolulu, Hawaii
Posted 11 days ago on ITJobCafe
HNM Systems, Inc. in Honolulu, HI
Posted 9 days ago on ZipRecruiter