Job Title: Spec-IPTV Headend
Location: Oahu; 252 Koa St
Reference #: 102170
The selected candidate will be responsible for the deployment and maintenance of new headend devices and software related to the processing/delivery of digital video and media services. The selected candidate will play a critical role in integrating and testing interoperability across a converged network.
This position will require the successful candidate to quickly learn and understand Hawaiian Telcom¿s infrastructure and implement new headend architectures quickly while minimizing current operations as little as possible. The candidate will leverage leadership and a variety of technical skills to work across internal groups as well as with vendors and industry partners to support service offerings and infrastructure capabilities
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Weight %
30% Integrate and test:
- Interoperability of network based digital video systems while working with vendors to develop more stable and scalable systems.
- Audio and video reception and processing equipment often troubleshooting.
- Plans for stability and scalability of IP service distribution, Ad Insertion, MMF servers, VOD, and video processing and routing of services.
40% Operate and maintain:
- Equipment and server maintenance, FCC testing and reporting.
- Ad Insertion equipment, VOD systems (ingest, video conditional access and encryption), and associated IPTV middleware and management systems.
- Digital channels including associated controllers and servers.
- Fixed and steerable satellite antenna arrays.
- Headend signal receiving, processing and distribution equipment; fiber optic and feeder electronic equipment and passive devices; subscriber service devices (active and passive) and test equipment.
- All headend system management, alarm, control, and data acquisition systems overseeing all internal or external repairs of facility, headend equipment or towers.
- Coordinate and manage service level agreements and troubleshooting with multiple vendors.
10% Assure compliance with industry specifications, including a full understanding of MPEG and IP systems.
10% Work with various groups to integrate and test new headend devices and platforms, as well as infrastructure improvements.
10% Serve as a technical resource for staff, general public and/or local businesses on all cable television electronic equipment and provide technical support in trials of new infrastructure designs/services.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Competencies and Behaviors
- Problem solving and analytical - Ability to analyze complex deal structures
- Strong writing skills - Ability to communicate effectively through concise writing.
- Strong Sense of Accountability
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks
- Process oriented - Knows and understands how to create efficient scalable and repeatable processes.
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction including with follow-up
- Decision making (makes sound, well informed, fact-based decisions)
- Results driven with a sense of urgency
- Change Management - adapts to new information, changing conditions, or unexpected obstacles
- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality
- Possesses the appropriate level of technical/functional expertise and knowledge.
- Understands and applies procedures, regulations, and policies related to areas of specialized expertise.
- Utilizes technology-based tools and processes
- Continuous learning and development
- Customer service orientation
- Ability to communicate with brevity and clarity orally and through written communication to management, co-workers and bank personnel.
- Ability to deal effectively and courteously with all levels of bank personnel
- Attend and provide training courses as needed.
- Recognizes and practices safety rules and procedures.
A. Education and/or Experience
- Bachelors Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Telecommunications or related field; equivalent experience will be considered.
B. Professional training and experience
- Minimum three years experience in Broadband networking equipment and technologies (xDSL, Gigabit Ethernet, fiber loop, etc.) from major network equipment providers.
- Work experience reflecting proficiency in the use of various tools and test equipment.
- A minimum of three years experience in any combination of the following skills are desired:
- Technical depth and breadth in one or more of the following disciplines: video compression technology (MPEG-2, MPEG-4, WM9), digital video broadcast technologies, video server products and technologies, IP network technology and infrastructure, set-top box technologies, interactive and/or enhanced TV.
- Experience with a variety of Internet related protocols and technologies (SSL, XML, HTTPS and HTTP).
- Experience with client and server side development on Unix or Linux using C/C++.
- A working knowledge of spectrum analyzers, sweep/alignment equipment, TDR frequency counters, power meters, fiber optic light meter, OTDR, VOM, QAM digital analyzer, waveform monitors and other video test equipment.
- Working knowledge of off-air and satellite reception and signal propagation.
- A broad understanding of how major components fit into an end-to-end video broadcast headend system.
C. Computer / Technical Skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access)
D. Other Skills and Abilities
- Experience demonstrating strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated work experience in:
- Project and task management proficiency with the ability to prioritize and execute accordingly.
- Meeting deadlines and follow through on assigned projects.
- Ability to work in a changing environment while maintaining a high level of quality and productivity.
- Must be able to function as a member of a team but able to work and remain productive while working independently with little or no supervision
- Ability to meet deadlines and follow through on assigned projects
- Able to maintain a professional manner during difficult escalation situations
- Present a professional image in customer fronting situations
- Daytime tour of duty; scheduled night and weekend work.
- Work may be performed in an enclosed area lacking windows
- Able to operate analytical test equipment such as data analyzers, etc.
- May require late hours and weekends to complete assignments and projects.
- Indoor work.
o Exposed to indoor conditions, dust, noise, dirt, heat, various lighting conditions, etc.
- Outdoor work.
o Subject to adverse weather conditions, dirt, dust, noise, fumes, rough terrain, traffic, heat, working in confined spaces, manholes, poles, aerial lifts and platforms, etc.
o Exposed to adverse weather conditions, dirt, dust, noise, fumes, rough terrain, heat, working in confined spaces and manholes, etc.
o Exposed to high voltage electrical power lines, explosive and/or flammable liquids and gases, oxygen deficiency, carbon monoxide, lead toxity and asbestos materials.
o Works with molten lead and wax.
- Ability to multi-task at a very fast pace
- Flexibility to adjust quickly to many moving facets of the job.
- Ability to make quick situational assessments and react accordingly.
- Requires leveraging leadership and a variety of technical skills to work across internal groups. as well as with vendors and industry partners to support service offerings and infrastructure capabilities.
- Requires alignment with the Company¿s F.A.S.T. Values
- Requires alertness and attention to detail
- Requires managing multiple functions and tasks
- Work may be performed a various locations under varying conditions.
- Requires standing, sitting, lifting/carrying supplies and training materials up to 40 lbs, and reading paper documentation and electronic communications.
- May require traveling to various locations and company branches and departments throughout the State of Hawaii in a timely manner so must possess a valid Hawaii State Driver¿s License.
- May require sitting and/or standing for long periods of time.
- May require identifying and distinguishing colors.
- Able to operate analytical test equipment such as data analyzers, oscilloscopes, etc.
- Ability to lift, carry, set up, climb and take down ladders.
- May require lifting and carrying standard extension ladders, tools, and manhole and pullbox covers.
- May require climbing poles and ladders.
- May require working in confined and dark areas for long periods of time.
- May require identifying and distinguish audible tones/levels and colors.
- May require push/pull heavy objects such as aerial platforms, racking and forming cables
- Required to meet multiple priorities and project due dates. May require late hours and weekends to complete assignments and projects.
Hawaiian Telcom (Nasdaq:HCOM), headquartered in Honolulu, is Hawai'i's technology leader, providing integrated communications, broadband, data center and entertainment solutions for business and residential customers. With roots in Hawai'i beginning in 1883, the Company offers a full range of services including Internet, video, voice, wireless, data network solutions and security, colocation, and managed and cloud services supported by the reach and reliability of its next generation fiber network and a 24/7 state-of-the-art network operations center. With employees statewide sharing a commitment to innovation and a passion for delivering superior service, Hawaiian Telcom provides an Always OnSM customer experience.
Posted 3 years ago
Browse jobs in Honolulu, Hawaii:
American Guard Services, Inc. in Honolulu, HI
Posted 8 hours ago on ZipRecruiter
EPC ServiceTM in Honolulu, HI
Posted 9 hours ago on ZipRecruiter
DIAMOND BAKERY CO., LTD. in Honolulu, HI
Posted 13 hours ago on ZipRecruiter