Sorry, this job was closed 4 years ago. See all open Lead Engineer Jobs in Honolulu, HI
Lead Engineer - IP Operations (Access/MPLS) #102171
Job Title: Lead Engineer - Access / MPLS
Location: Oahu; 1177 Bishop St
Reference #: 102171
This position is responsible to lead all support operations of Hawaiian Telcom’s MPLS and IP Access based networks. The Lead Engineer Access / MPLS are expected to lead all support of various IP based products such as xDSL, IPVPN, VoIP, FTTP and IPTV. This position will be responsible for all MPLS and Access design and architecture acceptance and deployment into the production network to include interoperability and regression testing. The Lead Engineer will lead and participate in a variety of projects to support network enhancements and operational deployment of new products and access methods including providing design and architecture recommendation on MPLS/Access network based solutions. The Lead Engineer will work in a team environment to support customer CARE, NOC, Field/Central Office Sales, Planning, Engineering and Development organizations as well as providing a lead role in the promotion and development of organizational knowledge within this domain space. This job will also have oversight of alarm correlation, surveillance and reliability of various network elements. The Lead Engineer will be required to take a lead role in outage restoration, escalated trouble, network upgrades and vendor specific trouble tickets.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
30% Provide Tier 2 leadership on trouble tickets requiring escalation to the vendor, detailed analysis or in depth trouble analysis.
- Respond to after hours call outs for network outages and escalated customer trouble on a 24x7 basis.
- Perform release management, software upgrades, hardware support and configuration.
30% Analyze outage/alarm reports, trouble history, and performance reports; recommend proactive measures to prevent/minimize repeat occurrences, and follow-through on recommendations.
- Develop troubleshooting, performance and alarming tools. Work with various support teams to develop preventive maintenance techniques/routines and lower restorable times.
- Conduct maintenance, back ups, patching and upgrading of network elements.
40% Provide technical expertise and consultation on troubleshooting/provisioning processes, EMS, custom technical design/configuration and/or technical product development.
- Create/Enhance documentation including network diagrams, work instructions and process enhancements for support, provisioning & alarming of network elements and supported services
- Lead and/or participate on project teams to drive network transformation.
- Perform design review and acceptance for any production ready deployments
- Perform network interoperability and regression testing
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to other¿s views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives.
- Design - Generates solutions; translates concepts and information into images; uses feedback to modify designs; applies design principles; demonstrates attention to detail.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving.
- Oral Communications - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; demonstrates group presentation skills; participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; varies writing style to meet needs; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on-time; supports organization’s goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative - Volunteers readily; undertakes self-development activities; seeks increased responsibilities; takes independent actions and calculated risks; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; asks for and offers help when needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Information Technology, Computer Science; or three years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Cisco CCNA or CCNP required. CCIE preferred.
B. Professional Work Experience:
- Must have at least four (4) years of direct work experience with any of the following:
- Alcatel 7x50 and/or 73x0 training/experience and/or certifications preferred
- Adtran TA5000/TA3000 training/experience preferred
- Transport (SONET, Ethernet, Frame Relay, ATM, and/or MPLS) training/experience preferred
- Access (FTTx, xDSL, and/or Metro-Ethernet) training/experience preferred
- Scripting and/or programming (Unix shell, TCL, Expect or Perl) skills preferred
- Specialist or Analyst level work experience in IP Services desired to reflect skills in troubleshooting and problem resolution
- Four (4) years experience in an analytical, report development, use of alarming tools and/or system maintenance desired.
- Working knowledge of various automated system functionality including but not limited to dispatching, trouble isolation & administration, provisioning, facility records, outside & inside plant records, customer records and billing.
- Experience in developing process improvement plans, execution of the plans and measuring results for desired outcome.
- Experience enforcing corporate policies.
C. Computer / Technical Skills:
- Microsoft Office Suite: working experience with the use of all applications from the Microsoft Office Suite to create reports, analyze data, and present information.
- Ability to learn new products and applications as required
- Working knowledge of various automated system functionality including but not limited to dispatching, manpower management, time & task reporting, trouble isolation & administration, provisioning, facility records, outside & inside plant records, customer records and billing
- Working knowledge of outside plant safety practices and procedures
- Working knowledge and experience with WAN/LAN switching, routing, transport, access networks, CPE networking and EMS applications required
D. Certificates and/or Licenses:
- Must possess a valid Hawaii State Driver’s License.
- Able to qualify for D. O. D. security clearance.
- Daytime tour of duty; occasional scheduled night and weekend work.
- Subject to overtime and callout.
- Work may be performed in an enclosed area lacking windows
- Able to operate analytical test equipment such as data analyzers, etc.
- May require late hours and weekends to complete assignments and projects.
- Indoor work - exposed to indoor conditions, dust, noise, dirt, heat, various lighting conditions, etc.
- Ability to manage multiple functions and tasks in a very fast paced environment
- Flexibility to adjust quickly to many moving facets of the job.
- Ability to make quick situational assessments and react accordingly.
- Requires leveraging leadership and a variety of technical skills to work across internal groups as well as with vendors and industry partners to support service offerings and infrastructure capabilities.
- Requires alignment with the Company’s F.A.S.T. Values
o Fierce Resolve - be Focused, Determined, Overcome the toughest challenges
o Aloha Spirit - Heartfelt, Kind, Serve with warmth and humility
o Superior Service - Exceptional, Extraordinary, Strive to provide the very best
o Trustworthy - Honest, Reliable, Make promises a reality
- Requires alertness and attention to detail
- Work may be performed a various locations under varying conditions.
- Requires standing, sitting, lifting/carrying supplies and training materials up to 40 lbs, and reading paper documentation and electronic communications.
- May require traveling to various locations and company branches and departments throughout the State of Hawaii in a timely manner so must possess a valid Hawaii State Driver¿s License.
- May require sitting and/or standing for long periods of time.
- May require identifying and distinguishing colors.
- May require working in confined and dark areas for long periods of time.
- May require identifying and distinguish audible tones/levels and colors.
- Required to meet multiple priorities and project due dates. May require late hours and weekends to complete assignments and projects.
About Hawaiian Telcom:
Hawaiian Telcom (Nasdaq:HCOM), headquartered in Honolulu, is Hawai'i's technology leader, providing integrated communications, broadband, data center and entertainment solutions for business and residential customers. With roots in Hawai'i beginning in 1883, the Company offers a full range of services including Internet, video, voice, wireless, data network solutions and security, colocation, and managed and cloud services supported by the reach and reliability of its next generation fiber network and a 24/7 state-of-the-art network operations center. With employees statewide sharing a commitment to innovation and a passion for delivering superior service, Hawaiian Telcom provides an Always OnSM customer experience.
Posted 4 years ago
Browse Lead Engineer jobs in Honolulu, Hawaii: