Posted 2 years ago in Telecommunications
Job Title: Ntwk Planner - Access Planning
Location: Oahu; 1177 Bishop St
Reference #: 102172
The Access Planner is responsible for the developing and managing the Feeder/Distribution facilities by utilizing Copper, Fiber and/or Electronic solutions.
Plans and prepares implementation designs and drawings for construction of new, and removal or rearrangement of existing, network elements for optimum and economical utilization of communications facilities: Analyzes traffic/capacity loads, available and existing lines/ports, and estimates or forecasts of projected traffic/growth to determine new construction or rearrangements and removals required. Develops detailed broad gauge estimates of cost and initiates work authorization request to engineering. Directs work activities to ensure conformance with Planning guidelines and specifications utilizing stable or emerging platforms were requirements are specific and well defined. Requires expert understanding in one or more of the following categories:
1. Access (Outside Plant) networks
2. Transport networks
3. Packet networks
4. Video networks
5. Wireless networks
6. VoIP networks
7. TDM data networks
8. TDM voice networks
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
45% Develop and implement planning decisions that will impact customer service for the next 3 to 5 years
15% Manage the floor space usage or cable routes within their designated planning area.
15% Incorporate high level or detailed forecasts into meaningful network build plans.
10% Develop and implement planning decisions that will impact near term customer service.
10% Formulate budget according to the business plan.
5% Preparation of inventory and reference charts and reports on system usage, system capacity, system quality, and system performance
This position has no current supervisory responsibilities but may lead project teams from time to time.
- Expert knowledge of Telephony concepts listed in summary section above.
- Working knowledge of OSP technologies such as FTTP, FTTN, BDLC, Optical Network delivery components and common customer network elements.
- Ability to analyze complex, detailed structures.
- Ability to communicate effectively through concise writing.
- Strong Sense of Accountability, responsibility, dedication and commitment.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks. Manage multiple initiatives simultaneously.
- Process oriented - Knows and understands how to identify, analyze, and create efficient scalable and repeatable processes.
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction including with follow-up.
- Ability to work with abstract concepts, requiring interpretation, extrapolation or logical derivation principles.
- Critical Decision making processes (makes sound, well informed, fact-based decisions).
- Results driven with a sense of urgency.
- Change Management ¿ adapts to new information, changing conditions, or unexpected obstacles.
- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality.
- Possesses the appropriate level of technical/functional expertise and knowledge.
- Understands and applies procedures, regulations, and policies related to areas of specialized expertise.
- Utilizes technology-based tools and processes.
- Continuous learning and development.
- Customer service orientation.
- Ability to work with different personalities.
- Ability to communicate with brevity and clarity orally and through written communication to management and peers
- Ability to deal effectively and courteously with all levels of HT personnel.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited, four-year University in Electrical Engineering, Information Technology, Computer Science, Data Communications, Telecommunications, Computer Science, or equivalent educational or professional experience and/or qualifications with a minimum of five (5) years experience.
B. Work experience:
- Two (2) or more years of previous professional experience in Network Planning or Engineering field of telecommunications.
- General knowledge of Class 5 Central Office Switches (5ESS, GTD-5, DMS100)
C. Computer / Technical Skills or Experience:
- Working understanding of Ethernet, ATM, SDH/SONET, Frame Relay, Packet over SDH/SONET, WDM, wireless technologies.
- Working experience with the following systems, applications and concepts.
o Project Costing
o Accounting Guidelines (COE & OSP)
o Budget Estimation
o Budget Development
o Budget Tracking
o CO Office Concepts
o OSP Engineering Concepts
o OSP Support Structure Concepts
o Regulatory / FCC guidelines
o FCC / PUC Tariffs
o Emerging Technologies
o Network Evolution Concepts
- Able to work in confined areas for long periods of time.
- Scheduled work tours may be weekday, weekend and holiday, including day, evening and night hours.
- Requires alertness and attention to detail.
- Able to work independently with minimal direction including with follow-up
- Requires meeting multiple priorities and project due dates.
- Requires alignment with the Company's F.A.S.T. Values
- Work may be performed a various locations under varying conditions.
- Requires standing, sitting, lifting/carrying supplies and training materials up to 40 lbs, and reading paper documentation and electronic communications.
- May require traveling to various locations and company branches and departments throughout the State of Hawaii in a timely manner so must possess a valid Hawaii State Driver's License.
- May require late hours and weekends to complete assignments and projects.
Hawaiian Telcom (Nasdaq:HCOM), headquartered in Honolulu, is Hawai'i's technology leader, providing integrated communications, broadband, data center and entertainment solutions for business and residential customers. With roots in Hawai'i beginning in 1883, the Company offers a full range of services including Internet, video, voice, wireless, data network solutions and security, colocation, and managed and cloud services supported by the reach and reliability of its next generation fiber network and a 24/7 state-of-the-art network operations center. With employees statewide sharing a commitment to innovation and a passion for delivering superior service, Hawaiian Telcom provides an Always OnSM customer experience.
Browse planner jobs in Honolulu, Hawaii:
FWG Solutions - Fort Shafter, HI
Posted 3 days ago on ZipRecruiter - ZipApply
Douglas Emmett - Honolulu, HI
Posted 8 days ago on ZipRecruiter - ZipApply
Valkyrie Enterprises, LLC - Pearl Harbor, HI
Posted 22 days ago on ZipRecruiter - ZipApply