The primary function of this position is to provide estimating and project bid management of commercial and public paving projects located throughout Southern California. The purpose of this position is to ensure that all resources of the company are managed and coordinated in an efficient and professional manner on all assigned projects, with a mission of performing work within the budget and ahead of schedule. Tasks will include: developing detailed means and methods estimates; outsourcing, analyzing, and competitively purchasing subcontractor services and material purchases; collaborating with project managers to set initial project schedules within bid proposal, bid budget and project standards.
WAGES AND BENEFITS
We provide competitive compensation and employee benefits. The benefits package includes: medical, dental, and vision Insurance; paid vacation, sick time and holidays; 401K Plan.
The estimator reports directly to the Director of Operations and assists with specific projects as assigned.
SCOPE OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The principal duty of the estimator is the overall coordination of the proposal/bid process to prepare and submit timely competitive bids that ultimately end with awarded projects for the company. This will require the complete review of contract documents, plans, and specifications to develop and execute a competitive bid strategy. This position will maintain vendor relationships for purchasing or renting equipment and purchasing material, supplies, and services.
1. Perform a complete review of contract documents for designated project estimates.
2. Develop and or assist in preconstruction budgeting.
3. Initialize estimates with estimating software Bid to Win and Excel.
4. Develop and execute project specific bid strategy.
5. Develop and maintain trade lists and subcontractor solicitation list.
6. Clarify plans and specifications for assigned projects.
7. Perform quantity take-offs on assigned projects.
8. Solicit material and subcontractor pricing.
9. Develop relationships with equipment rental and material vendors for discounts.
10. Negotiate with vendors for the purchasing of equipment, material, supplies, and services.
11. Calculate labor estimates for company required project labor.
12. Analyze material, equipment, and subcontractor quotes and consistently deliver accurate and timely estimates.
13. Follow up with material and equipment suppliers as well as subcontractors post bid as necessary.
14. Attend project meetings as required by stakeholders or superintendents.
15. Embrace and complete special projects or initiatives of the Director of Operations with regard to the growth, development and improvement of operations.
The above duties are meant to define the minimum activities of the position and are not meant to restrict initiative, imagination, or resourcefulness in pursuing the mission of the estimator. These duties may be altered to suit the needs of the Director of Operations and the company.
1. Bachelor’s degree in construction, engineering or technical discipline preferred.
2. Minimum of 5 years of experience as a project manager with an asphalt paving contractor preferred.
3. Must be able to read and interpret construction plans and specifications.
4. Must have thorough knowledge of construction procedures, estimating techniques, and field project management.
5. Versed in all aspects of the construction management process including preconstruction, construction and project closeout.
6. Proficient with Microsoft Office.
7. High energy, enthusiastic personality.
8. Outstanding people skills.
9. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
10. Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
11. Stable job history.
12. Must have a California Driver’s license and insurance to drive your own vehicle on company business. Reimbursement will be given on miles driven on company business.
12. Demonstrate a tenacity and sense of urgency to ensure realistic and consistent outcomes and delivery of results.
13. Must be able to manage and supervise multiple trades.
14. Demonstrate the ability to multitask and prioritize between competing issues, project needs, business needs, organizational issues, client relations and to make judgments at a level consistent with a member of management.
Company address:32 Rancho Circle, Lake Forest, CA 92630