“Small company which is well suited and generous to self-motivated people who work independently while maintaining the organizational focus.”
The Greater Wheeling Coalition for the Homeless
Date: March 16, 2018 revised from Participant and Facilities Coordinator position
Reports to: Executive Director
Supervises: N/A but instructs a maintenance worker
Purpose: Perform skilled, semi-skilled and diversified duties associated with providing general maintenance and repair of buildings, grounds, and equipment. Performance skills of the Coordinator should be at a comparative journeyman level - without being required to hold such a license/certificate. The skills should be in the areas of: roofing, plumbing, electricity, HVAC, carpentry, painting janitorial services, construction management, procurement and inventory of supplies and basic mechanical repair. The employee must exercise competent and responsible, independent, judgment in resolving work issues and following agency policies and procurement procedures for working with clients who possess special needs. As well as, orchestrating programming for participants that provides direct vocational training and applied skills associated with building maintenance and janitorial services.
I. ESSENTIAL TASKS OF THE POSITION: (The following are intended to be illustrative, not all inclusive:
A. Provide all repairs in plumbing, electrical, heating, carpentry, painting, and mechanical equipment, as assigned. This includes having the ability to plan/order, layout and obtain materials according to requirements and dimensions indicated in plans, specifications, blueprints, sketches and building codes.
B. Prepare all housing units for tenancy. Includes: inspected leased units; move in activities of organization owned units; move- out inventory; and routine inspections which includes supervising client move-ins. Provide a learning environment for participants in performing: basic repairs, grounds maintenance and janitorial services within assigned areas. Instilling responsibility for the safe, sanitary and attractive maintenance of grounds. Coordinator assumes responsibility for writing work orders, scheduling participant’s activities and for securing basic supplies, materials, tools, and for storing such at areas of assignment.
C. Assure facilities and vehicles are maintained, set up and made ready for meetings and monitoring visits to ensure a level of compliance is achieved for all local, state and federal laws
D. Coordinator must possess self-directed work skills combined with basic knowledge of planning, organizing and completing work assignments in an efficient, safe and timely manner. Accomplishing assigned tasks in accordance with prioritized schedule and working within this schedule is considered a critical performance element. Work must be efficient, effective, and timely as well as performed in a workmanlike manner.
E. Assess and makes realistic estimates of materials, labor, and equipment in accordance with departmental policies, procedures, specifications, and instructions. Work with supervisor to seek voluntary and or professional services when the scope of the work exceeds the time frames, abilities or knowledge of the organization’s staffing.
F. Exercises an acceptable level of judgment, independence and problem-solving skills in addressing and completing assignments. Maintains and complies with safe and sanitary work conditions for self, participants and other staff. Keeps and is responsible for inventory of all tools, supplies and equipment in accordance with established procedure
G. Maintains a level of team-work and working relationships with clients, peers and supervisors conducive to productive work. Take the lead on coordinating activities of personnel and participants engaged in carrying out the program and its various training components. Formulate a schedule of routine activities that provide all involved parties with a realistic and practical set of standards to base progress on. Assess and adequately communicate in an ongoing process, as part of the case management team, a client’s ability to participate and develop activities that are relevant to meeting the overall goals of the program. Engages participants in renovating vacant or damaged apartments in an efficient, effective, timely and workmanlike manner. Tracks voluntary labor and materials required for activities.
H. Diagnoses problems, provides technical guidance and assistance to assigned employees for the safe, cost-effective, efficient and timely maintenance of agency’s facilities. Carries out work assignments according to work schedule, determining work approaches, methods and techniques. Maintains a level of proficient skills and methods acceptable to agency standards of performance.
II. SECONDARY POSITION TASKS:
A. Possesses working knowledge of programming language adaptive to agency needs
B. Performs other duties as assigned within job classification
C. Works on, researches and completes special projects, as assigned
D. Participate in required activities of all staff including but not limited to: attending meetings, fundraising activities, annual Point In Time Count
III. POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
A. Education Level:
1. High school diploma or equivalent educational experience, required
2. Industrial arts/vocational training
3. Proficiency in reading and writing English and an ability to read and comprehend technical documents, as well as programmatic procedures and reports
4. Ability to use a personal computer, copier, scanner and fax machine, as well as email
B. Experience in related field:
1. Experience in building maintenance, carpentry, plumbing and electrical repair
2. Experience in proving technical training to others or supervising others in a
C. Attributes, skills, abilities, licenses and certifications:
1. Possess a working knowledge of and the necessary skill level in plumbing, electricity, heating, carpentry, painting, and mechanical equipment/maintenance tools and equipment in order to train others.
2. Skill in operating and using tools and equipment with a knowledge of materials use in trade and technical practices.
3. Experience in reading and interpreting plan, specifications, blueprints, sketches and building codes.
4. Ability to plan layout and measure materials according to requirement and dimension indicated in plans, specifications, blueprints, sketches and building codes.
5. Ability to lead building, ground, and equipment maintenance tasks of varying difficulty independently.
6. Ability to perform the described work safely, while teaching others.
7. Capability to multi-task assignments at a fast pace while maintaining a calm demeanor
8. Valid driver's license unrestricted except for corrective lenses.
9. Certified or ability to become certified in safe lead based paint practices
10. Maintain confidentiality of client information, agency processes, funding and all data
11. Work as a team member in an environment which fosters input and critical thinking in solving social issues funded through the governmental and public sector
12. Ability to relate to and interact with elderly/disabled and family residents in a residential setting.
13. Maintain a high degree of personal flexibility to accommodate changing regulations and policies while performing work under time pressure.
14. Possess a desire and ability to work among professionals in a formal office setting.
15. Ability to transport tools and equipment to multiple sites.
16. Dependable on a daily basis and punctual.
17. Accept constructive criticism as a necessary stage of professional growth
18. Proven ability to perform duties with minimal supervision, reflecting attributes of an independent worker and self-starter.
D. Working conditions:
1. Environmental parameters:
a. Ability to work in an office, as well as a training environment.
b. Ability to work in an environment in all weather conditions (hot, cold, humid, dry and wet).
c. Ability to work in environment with conditions which may include: fumes, odors, gases, chemicals and dust as well as decibels in the range of 30-65.
d. Ability to work heights on ladders, staging and scaffolding.
2. Physical demands:
a. Strength: Ability to lift up to 150 lbs. or in excess of, with appropriate equipment.
b. Type: Physical work ability. Ability to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move heavy objects.
c. Work involves walking, bending, crawling, reaching and standing for long periods of time.
E. Work schedule:
1. Ability to work 40 hour week/ non-exempt employee
2. Ability to work full time, during stipulated business hours
3. Must have the ability to work occasional non-traditional hours, including evenings
4. Serve on an on-call rotation
F. Equipment used:
1. Competency in and knowledge of power tools and equipment associated with building maintenance operations
2. Possess basic computer skills including: internet searches, email and basic formulation of Word documents
IV. APTITUDE REQUIREMENTS:
a. Ability to apply principles of logical thinking and to define problems.
b. Ability to collect data, establish facts and draw conclusions.
c. Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables; to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagrammatic or schedule form.
a. Ability to interrelate with or advise residents/staff.
b. Ability to understand safety rules, warnings and instructions in the use and maintenance of properties and equipment.
c. Ability to log in data and draft data summaries and correspondence.
d. Ability to complete reports with proper format, punctuation, spelling and grammar.
e. Ability to record and deliver information; to explain complex procedures to others; to follow and give verbal and written work orders.
f. Ability to answer inquiries from residents/staff.
g. Ability to converse with officials, service providers, disgruntled residents and the general public.
a. Ability to deal with system of real numbers.
b. Ability to compile, compute and present mathematical information.
c. Ability to compute fractions, ratio, proportions and percentages.
4. Administrative detail:
a. Ability to complete forms; record and locate data accurately.
b. Ability to pay close attention to detail and accurately distinguish data.
1. Motor coordination:
a. Ability to accurately reach, feel or handle equipment used in daily routine.
2. Finger dexterity:
a. Ability to pick, pinch or otherwise work with fingers to operate above equipment.
3. Manual dexterity:
a. Ability to seize, hold, grasp, turn or otherwise work with hands to operate above equipment.
1. Near vision:
a. Clarity of vision at 20 inches or less.
2. Mid-range vision:
a. Clarity of vision at distance of more than 20 inches and less than 20 feet.
3. Far-range vision:
a. Clarity of vision at distance of more than 20 feet.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties of personnel so classified.
NOTE: The requirements for this position are indicative of the physical and mental capacities needed to satisfactorily perform the duties for the position. Reasonable accommodations, as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act will be granted wherever possible.
The Greater Wheeling Coalition for the Homeless was cited in 2001, by a National advocate, as being one of the top ten local homeless coalitions in the country, The Greater Wheeling Coalition for the Homeless continues to grow as a dynamic and diverse non-profit. While maintaining the feel of a small business (less than 15 full time employees) we creatively carry out our mission which encompasses serving the homeless of the Northern Panhandle of West Virginia through providing comprehensive programming and agency owned housing opportunities. We are fast paced agency focusing on ending homelessness permanently. Our team is well suited for self-motivated people who work independently while maintaining the organizational focus of implementing innovative programs and establishing outstanding outcomes.
Company address: 84 15th Street Wheeling, WV 26003
Posted date: 28 days ago