Generac Power Systems
Reporting to the Director of Consumer Brand Strategy, the Channel Manager is responsible for driving sales and profitability in the Consumer Channels. The Channel Manager will lead the development of marketing plans and programs for the Residential and Commercial product lines within assigned channel(s) that will help Generac achieve its goals and objectives.
Channel Analysis, Planning, Execution and Strategy
- Demonstrates knowledge of corporate, brand and customer strategies
- Demonstrates knowledge of consumer and competitive marketplace and works with sales and product management to maintain this knowledge.
- Provides an analysis of primary and secondary data across marketplace, channel and region for business management.
- Gathers channel, customer, category and product information, (i.e.: sales reports, industry data, etc.) to get a pulse for the business within the channel and assigned accounts. Synthesizes data into facts and trends that provide the basis for actionable marketing plans.
- Coordinates marketing programs across channels and brands within areas of responsibility to drive efficiency.
- Works with sales team to support line reviews. Coordinates line review activities including category and product presentations, development of marketing and merchandising plans, sales analysis and new product planning, collaborating with sales, brand and product management.
- Executes channel plans within area of responsibility, overseeing the creation of promotional programming, such as in-store merchandising signage or displays, retailer feature ads, catalog layouts, events (trade shows), and channel-specific marketing support materials. Ensures consistency with brand guidelines and point of sale.
- Regularly writes project briefs to initiate marketing projects. Utilizes the project brief to define scope, goals and deliverables that support business goals in collaboration with senior management and stakeholders. Frequently develops full-scale project plans and associated communication documents.
- Champions projects for assigned channels and facilitates cross-functional communication to ensure overall project and business success. Identifies and manages project dependencies and critical paths and communicates regularly with project stakeholders. Proactively manages scope changes, identifies potential crises, and devises contingency plans.
- The Channel Manager will utilize the capabilities of the market research team to gain insights into the consumer and the channel and leverage knowledge to develop successful marketing programs and effective product launches.
- Working with manager and the research team, the channel manager may assist in the writing of research briefs for the channel, brand or product category.
- Demonstrates a thorough understanding of channel requirements and success factors for new category and new product introductions.
- Works cross functionally to build detailed product commercialization plans to ensure an effective product launch within assigned channel.
- Leveraging knowledge gained from product management, research team and secondary data makes category management recommendations for assigned channel and account to help achieve corporate goals and objectives.
- Develops merchandising plans including in store and on-line to ensure that the brand, category and product value propositions are properly conveyed to all members within the channel value chain.
- The channel manager will work with creative services to identify, select and work with external vendors in the development of marketing materials, including but not limited to merchandising, literature, case studies, product announcements to support the growth and success of the residential and commercial product lines.
- Coordinate new product launches including launch kits, promotional materials, samples, literature, product knowledge, etc… to ensure successful commercialization.
- Four year degree from a college or university in Marketing, Business or Information Systems and Project Management/Business Management experience is required
- Minimum of 3-5 years Channel Management / Project Management experience including identifying project scope, drafting project plans, coordinating and leading project meetings, and identifying and tracking issues and action items, etc
- Strong working knowledge of typical desk-top computer software applications (such as MS PowerPoint, Ms Word, MS Project, MS Excel, MS Access) to develop compelling presentations and analyze data.
- Proven ability to work independently, take an ownership approach for assigned channel and area of responsibility and develop plans and programs to help the company achieve its goals.
Additional Skills Required:
- Strong communication skills and the ability to interact effectively at all levels, lead and motivate project teams typically comprised of participants from various internal and external organizations
- Analytical skills capable of organizing and maintaining components of a project life-cycle
- Detail oriented and organized. Ability to work independently and organize workload for effective implementation
- Ability to manage multiple projects and/or assignments concurrently
- Creative thinking and problem solving skills, initiative and leadership
- Occasionally scheduled business travel and non-standard working hours are typically required for success
- Collaborates with Channel Management peers to share and apply best practices, and build a best-in-class Channel Management team.