First Book is an award winning, nonprofit that provides new books and educational materials to children in need throughout the United States and Canada. Since 1992, First Book has distributed more than 90 million books to schools and programs serving children from low-income families – from birth through age 18. A recognized leader in social enterprise, First Book has pioneered groundbreaking channels to provide educators serving children in need with permanent access to high-quality books and educational resources for free and at deeply reduced prices. By harnessing the power of the private sector to advance social change, First Book is helping transform the quality of education for children in need. First Book has been highlighted by the Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship, Fast Company
magazines, The Oprah Winfrey
Show, and the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland. First Book is also the subject of case studies at Columbia Business School, the Yale School of Management, and the London School of Economics.About the position:
Do you have private-sector head and a public-sector heart? Do you have an entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for advancing social change? First Book is seeking a Vice President of International Development responsible for overseeing the expansion of our existing international efforts in Canada and helping launch a number of new international operations, beginning in India. A successful candidate for this position must possess, first and foremost, a clearly entrepreneurial spirit, combined with experience in practical implementation at every level. This position requires proven experience starting-up and scaling a successful endeavor as well as significant operational experiences in an international setting. This position will require travel as opportunities arise.Essential Duties and Responsibilities
: Key Experiences and Skill Sets:
- Proven entrepreneurial experience
- Record of entrepreneurial thinking and results-driven success, either in corporate or nonprofit settings
- Ability to forge win-win partnerships with a variety of corporate, social sector, and government partners
- “Can do” work ethic, ability to solve problems creatively, identify alternative solutions when obstacles present themselves, and work as part of a team
- Start-up, scaling, and growth experience
- Experience managing initiatives from inception to implementation on a country-wide basis
- Proven ability to articulate a big-picture vision combined with the detail orientation required to implement “nuts and bolts” strategies and achieve key goals
- Demonstrated strategic thinking skills, ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously, and excellent communication/interpersonal skills.
- Operations experience, including international settings
- Experience leading high-growth enterprises or teams for international settings; experience managing staff in remote locations.
- Ability to quickly identify and come up to speed on the key legal, governmental, language/cultural issues relevant to a new international setting
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally. Bilingual and trilingual applicants encouraged to apply.
- International operational experience
- 10 years strategic management experience
- 7 years of Senior Leadership experience
- An MBA or Masters Degree in a related field, preferred.
- Experience in a non-profit environment is helpful
Candidates are invited to submit a resume and a cover letter to email@example.com - please be sure to indicate an interest in the VP International Development
position in the subject line of your email. No phone calls please.