$15,000 to $20,000 Annually
Why Work Here?
“Fun, intimate team environment with some flexibility in your schedule and eternal rewards (okay, maybe not, but a great place to work!)”
This position is responsible for advancing the mission and ministry of Faith Lutheran Church by developing, managing, and overseeing key aspects of its communications and operations, including but not limited to communications by phone, email, or other electronic means, website, social media, weekly worship bulletins, announcements, and other printed materials. The Communications Coordinator represents the church by serving as a first point of contact for inquiries from the public.
Clerical/Office Administration (20%)
- Provide a positive first impression for the church.
- Provide quality “customer service" to church staff, members, visitors and others needing assistance.
- Ensure efficient and accurate operation of church office. Oversee organization and cleanliness of office area.
- Provide administrative support to church staff and lay leaders such as answering phones, copying, preparing mailings, sorting mail, and other routine office tasks.
- Procure all office supplies and materials.
- Use information technology (IT) equipment and services to facilitate communications. Set up audio/visual and IT equipment as needed.
- Maintain accurate membership, visitor, and attendance records using church management software.
- Prepare, with input from the pastor(s) and in coordination with the Church Business Administrator, statistical reports for the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) and the Metropolitan Washington, D.C. Synod.
- Maintain and safeguard all electronic and physical records.
- Handle data about church members and staff with care, ensuring the security of personal information.
- Follow established records retention policy and schedule.
- Be consistently aware of congregational happenings and events.
- Work cooperatively with staff and volunteers and participate in regular with staff meetings.
- Prepare weekly electronic messages to congregation and regular updates to social media.
- Update and maintain church website (e.g., coordinating all content areas, uploading sermon audio files, creating registrations and signups).
- Maintain church calendar for all events and activities.
- Coordinate with Council members and ministry teams as needed.
- Prepare and publish specific materials in a timely manner, including a church directory, and periodic newsletters.
- Coordinate production of the congregation’s Annual Report.
- Coordinate timely mailing of worship recordings to homebound members.
Worship Preparation (40%)
- Prepare weekly worship bulletins, materials, and announcements in coordination with pastor(s), worship and music director, and lay leaders
- Coordinate baptism, wedding, and funeral requests in collaboration with the pastors and in coordination with the Church Business Administrator. Communicate upcoming dates for these events to the appropriate representatives from the congregation (altar guild coordinator, etc.)
- Produce certificates for baptisms, weddings, first communion, confirmation, and new members.
- Ensure appropriate usage of copyrighted materials.
- Possess effective customer service skills and an ability to interact confidently with people in a pleasant and reassuring manner.
- Demonstrate knowledge of office skills and experienced in use of IT equipment and services, and audio/visual equipment.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite and OneDrive
- Familiarity with:
- Church Community Builder, or similar Church management software
- Subscription services (e.g,. Sundays and Seasons, Hymn Print, Song Select)
- Wordpress or similar Content Management System
- Google Apps (including Forms)
- Constant Contact or other email marketing software
- Signup Genius
- Graphics applications (e.g., Canva, Pixlr)
- Possess effective communication, coordination, and organizational skills.
- Demonstrate ability to work as a team player with the congregation, pastor(s), and staff.
- Possess some knowledge of the Lutheran Church and worship services.
- Have ability to trouble-shoot and correct minor problems with office equipment or IT services.
- Pass required background and checks.
REPORTS TO: Pastors
SUPERVISES: No supervisory responsibilities. The Communications Coordinator trains office support (paid or volunteers).
3313 Arlington Blvd., Arlington, VA 22201
8 months ago