“Support the Denver community and take advantage of our great development opportunities and on-the-job training!”
The Denver Urban Renewal Authority’s Finance Department manages a portfolio of Tax Increment Finance (TIF) bonds, outstanding TIF reimbursement obligations, and the finances for six affordable housing programs. The department is responsible for all accounting, finance and forecasting functions of the Authority.
The Senior Accountant aides in preparing, reviewing, and analyzing the recording of and reporting of the financial activity of the Authority to ensure the integrity of the Authority’s accounting information. The Senior Accountant is responsible for understanding the accounting concepts, analysis and compliance matters required to maintain the general ledger, supporting subsidiary ledgers and financial reporting of the Authority. The Senior Accountant also provides backup for various financial functions to maintain strength of Authority’s processes. This position reports to the Authority’s Deputy Director/CFO.
1. Maintains the accuracy, completeness and integrity of the Authority’s accounting records, while adhering to generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
2. Prepares monthly journal entries and maintains general ledger chart of accounts.
3. Reviews accounts payable entries, and prepares check disbursements, due to/due from transfers and wire transfer requests. Reconciles subsidiary ledgers.
4. Prepare deposits, ensures timely billing of receivables, and records loan modifications.
5. Supports the payroll process through the preparation of retirement contribution submissions, maintenance of benefit deductions, and by conducting payroll reconciliations for wage and tax reporting purposes. Prepares vacation accruals entries.
6. Assists with regulatory compliance by tracking requirements and maintaining documentation.
7. Prepares in-depth budget vs. actual analysis and reports. Participates in the preparation of the Authority’s annual operating budget.
8. Participates in the preparation of the annual audit of the Authority’s financial statements
9. Provides financial support to management by preparing cash flow statements and other special reports as assigned.
1. Secures financial information by electronically cataloging records, statements, and documents.
2. Participates in the Authority approval of Redevelopment and Housing program activity. Activities may include, but are not limited to, analysis of project feasibility, and review of project budgets.
3. Participates in the annual Board retreat preparation regarding budgetary and financial portfolio issues.
4. Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge of and expertise in generally accepted accounting principles and governmental accounting standards and auditing procedures.
Exceptional attention to detail.
Solid written and verbal communication skills.
Strong analytical, quantitative and critical thinking skills.
Ability to multi-task and respond quickly to requests for information.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required. Some graduate work or evidence of continuing professional education preferred. CPA or CPA candidate actively working toward licensure desirable.
Minimum of five years experience in governmental accounting or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Bond, tax increment, or metropolitan/special district accounting experience helpful.
Advanced proficiency in MS Excel required; proficiency in other MS Office applications, including PowerPoint, required.
Experience with Sage 50 (Peachtree) or equivalent software program.
Demonstrated ability to work with governmental and private sector agencies us.
Working Conditions: Office, with occasional meetings outside the office.
DURA will offer the successful candidate a competitive compensation and benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, a 401(a) retirement plan, RTD EcoPass, vacation and sick leave and paid holidays. Qualified applicants must successfully complete a pre-employment background screening. DURA participates in E-Verify.
Salary DOE. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply early. No phone calls please.
About Denver Urban Renewal Authority:
The Denver Urban Renewal Authority is a full-service redevelopment agency engaged in neighborhood and downtown revitalization, economic development, home ownership and housing rehabilitation throughout the City and County of Denver. DURA functions as a catalyst, partner, advisor and/or participant in a variety of efforts to foster sound growth and development.
Company address:1555 California St., Denver CO, 80202