“Support the Denver community and take advantage of our great development opportunities and on-the-job training!”
The Denver Urban Renewal Authority’s Finance Department manages a portfolio of Tax Increment Finance (TIF) bonds, outstanding TIF reimbursement obligations, and the finances for six affordable housing programs. The department is responsible for all accounting, finance and forecasting functions of the Authority.
The Accountant/Analyst assists in the recording and reporting of the financial activity of the Authority and actively participates in the Accounts Payable (AP) and Accounts Receivable (AR) functions. The Accountant/Analyst provides technical accounting competency and analytical input to ensure the long-term financial health of the Authority. This position reports to the Authority’s Deputy Director/CFO.
1. Assists in maintaining the accuracy, completeness and integrity of the Authority’s accounting records, while adhering to generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
2. Monitors accounts payable records, including data entry, reviewing monthly activity and providing reports to staff.
3. Prepares AR documentation, including invoices, payment receipt memos, and subledger maintenance.
4. Processes semi-monthly payroll, including reporting, documentation and timesheet analysis.
5. Responsible for the Finance Department’s recordkeeping and filing systems.
6. Conducts periodic analyses of budget vs. actuals both for the Authority’s general fund and specific programs. Drafts program outcome reports.
7. Assists in the design and preparation of financial statements for management and the Board.
8. Assists in the development of short- and long-term financial projections.
9. Participates in the preparation of the Authority’s annual operating budget.
10. Participates in the preparation of the annual audit of the Authority’s financial statements.
11. Assists in the preparation of cash flow projections and other special reports as assigned.
Participates in the review, monitoring and approval of Redevelopment and Housing program activity.
Participates in the annual Board retreat preparation for budgetary and financial portfolio issues.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles.
Knowledge of governmental accounting standards and auditing procedures and/or federal funding requirements, or the ability to, and interest in, developing strong competencies in this area.
Exceptional attention to detail.
Solid written and verbal communication skills.
Strong analytical, quantitative and critical thinking skills.
Ability to multi-task and respond quickly to requests for information.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required.
One to three years of work and/or internship experience in accounting, with some governmental accounting experience a plus.
Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel and other MS Office applications.
Some experience with Sage 50 Accounting (Peachtree) software or an equivalent program is a plus.
Working Conditions: Office, with occasional meetings outside the office.
DURA will offer the successful candidate a competitive compensation and benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, a 401(a) retirement plan, RTD EcoPass, vacation and sick leave and paid holidays. Qualified applicants must successfully complete a pre-employment background screening. DURA participates in E-Verify.
Salary DOE. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply early. No phone calls please.
About Denver Urban Renewal Authority:
The Denver Urban Renewal Authority is a full-service redevelopment agency engaged in neighborhood and downtown revitalization, economic development, home ownership and housing rehabilitation throughout the City and County of Denver. DURA functions as a catalyst, partner, advisor and/or participant in a variety of efforts to foster sound growth and development.
Company address:1555 California St., Denver CO, 80202