This position will be based out of the Hauppauge, NY headquarters. This individual will purchase various materials and finished products for our Country Life, Biochem, and Iron-Tek product lines. This position will require occasional travel to suppliers to conduct product audits, product planning, and commercial discussions.
Handles administrative functions within the Purchasing Department, and is responsible for planning and maintaining the inventory levels of the Corporation. Interfaces with all distribution, marketing, quality, packaging, manufacturing, regulatory, customer service, and other purchasing personnel as necessary to ensure information is shared on a timely basis.Position Scope:
- Purchases an approximate monthly volume of $5-10 million of products and materials
- Responsible for 10-20 Supplier relationships
- Organizes logistics/freight for his/her assigned products
- Ensures that assigned suppliers maintain a level of quality consistent with company standards. Works with suppliers on an ongoing basis to make quality and cost improvements. Communications and interaction with Regulatory, Marketing, Sales, Quality, Production and Product Development on product issues. Responsible for supplier updates as needed.
- Provides the company with the best total cost solution for the assigned commodities. Analyzes requirements against historical information and supply criteria.
- Issues and maintains purchase orders for assigned commodities and supplies.
- Coordinates purchasing activities with outside suppliers by placing purchase order and assisting in internal and external communications.
- Solves internal problems with Accounts Payable and Receiving locations concerning pricing, quality and quantity conflicts.
- Travel will be approximately 10-20%; most in the local vicinity, with some travel outside Long Island and overnight.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational symposia; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies, etc.
- Satisfactory completion of appropriate corporate training as related to the position and/or department.
- Assures compliance by following Food and Drug Administration's Good Manufacturing Practices as well as other regulatory standards as required by the department.
- Contributes to overall achievement by accomplishing related tasks and demonstrating characteristics that exemplify team building and support.
QUALIFICATIONSExperience and Skills:
- The above is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities. Other activities may be assigned as required by management.
- 1-3 years experience in purchasing; with familiarity with FDA materials and regulations helpful
- Computer Experience: Strong PC knowledge of MS Office, Word and Excel. Familiarity with Internet and MRP experience, preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as excellent interpersonal skills
Education and Certifications:
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Bachelor degree in business or related field