A growing and dynamic national grower/shipper is in need of a Production Manager that will be responsible for ensuring that the company’s growers and service providers grow, harvest, pack, cool and ship fresh produce in strict compliance with the Company's quality standards. In addition, the Production Manager is responsible for leading operational coordination with field and warehouse personnel and managing local facets of production operations based in Florida.
We offer a generous benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, 401K (employee/employer contributions), use of company vehicle, cell phone, laptop, two weeks paid vacation and one week sick.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Coordinate with grower’s local production operations, including monitoring field preparation, transplanting, fertilization, irrigation and pest/disease control.
- Ensure business partners (growers and service providers) understand and comply with Company's standards (growing, harvesting and food safety).
- Review samples for quality assessment and testing, as well as coordinating quality control information with the grower.
- Train and supervise harvesting crews to ensure harvesting is in compliance with Company protocols and practices.
- Inspect and test to ensure vegetables are harvested at the right maturity stage and meet all Company standards.
- Coordinate all harvesting operations.
- Supervise post-harvest unloading and transfer into cold storage and checking quality of vegetables at the cooling facility against Company quality specifications.
- Assist with materials management and logistics efforts required to deliver the company’s products.
- Advise management of any upcoming changes or trends in product availability, quality or other issues and provide recommendations of corrective actions.
- Survey fields and provide daily, weekly harvest projections, six-week estimations and forecasts to General Manager.
- Monitor food safety practices at farms, facilities and harvesters.
- Coordinate and communicate with third party auditors, ranch managers, harvesters.
- Perform internal harvester crew, ranch and facility audits/pre-season inspections.
- Train harvest crews on food safety topics.
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- May be exposed to pesticides in the field.
- Extended periods of time sitting or standing
- May be required to handle objects/lift objects more than 30 pounds
- Minimum 5 years of experience in the field of agriculture (experience in growing and harvesting leafy green vegetables a must), including experience in estimating production volumes, quality testing, harvesting, post-harvest handling and compliance with food safety requirements.
- Demonstrated capability to provide hands on management and day to day interactions with field, cooler and warehouse personnel.
- Knowledge of food safety laws, regulations, guidelines and standards.
- Experience developing, documenting and facilitating implementation of standard sanitation practices at ranches and processing/handling facilities.
- Bi-lingual English/Spanish a plus.
- Self-starter, ability to work independently as well as with growers, team members and management.
- Able to set priorities, execute and deliver on commitments even with a high degree of uncertainty, ambiguity and continuous change.
- Domestic and international travel may be required.
Degree in Agriculture or related field or equivalent years of experience.
Posted 4 years ago