The Strategic Procurement Manager - Commoditywill provide strategic leadership in developing, executing and managing the procurement process and activities for material commodities to provide demonstrated best value cost of ownership and to ensure continuity of supply through a strategic supplier base which meets the business requirements in service, quality, and innovation. The position will lead the development and execution of strategies that achieve our revenue, operating profit and purchasing objectives.
The commodity manager must demonstrate industry-leading knowledge and expertise in global procurement of raw materials and related products, purchasing concepts, processes and systems. The commodity manager must have the ability to develop this expertise throughout the purchasing organization. The position requires excellent focus, high energy and enthusiasm, forward thinking, strong analytical capability, excellent problem solving, the ability to manage change, solid execution and a commitment to help the company meet financial objectives and exceed customer expectations.
The position reports to the Director of Procurement
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and drive execution of global commodity strategies in close cooperation with Commercial (Product Management), Sales & Marketing, Operations, Supply Chain, Engineering and Technology.
- Perform in-depth industry analysis to uncover the key dynamics driving the behaviors of the suppliers and markets relating to the relevant commodities.
- Drive global and regional material cost out projects and continuously identify new raw material cost out savings opportunities.
- Improve purchasing processes and apply latest thinking in the areas of strategic sourcing, cost modeling, supplier relationship development, and total cost of ownership (Best Value).
- Effectively leverage commodity spend across divisions within the Corporation
- Lead Purchasing managers in strategic global and regional supplier relationships.
- Provide functional skill set leadership and mentoring to the purchasing function.
- Use the tools of cost modeling, financial analysis, price forecasting, and negotiation to bring maximum value to the business.
- Develop and manage an annual procurement plan that aligns with strategic vision and annual financial plan.
- Manage worldwide contract negotiation, sourcing, supplier evaluation and selection.
- Locate, analyze, develop and maintain a supplier base to meet current and future needs.
- Understand and monitor key spending trends, cost drivers, market factors, geographic considerations, and strategic importance of critical commodities in order to implement appropriate sourcing strategies.
- Manage annual supplier value analysis/cost reduction opportunities with the supplier base.
- Ensure all key suppliers are incorporated into company supplier certification program. Continue to refine the certification program per company growth and improve the supplier base.
- Other duties as assigned
Required Education and Experience:
- Experience in supervising project and team activities.
- Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration.
- Ten or more years of successful management experience which includes supervisory responsibility.
- Proven ability to implement and manage lean concepts.
- Experience with fiscal activities such as staffing levels, budgets, and financial goals.
- Proven record of continual improvement in areas of expertise.
- Proven track record of driving results and continuous improvement in an organization
- Experience in developing high-performance teams
- Practical knowledge of leading edge lean/six sigma strategies
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Ability to deal with and manage multiple projects
- Proven ability to lead and develop people