Position: Health Information SystemsOfficerReporting relationshipsReports directly to:
Health Information Systems / Monitoring and EvaluationCoordinatorDirect reports include:
: Full-time, 40 hours/week, Monday-Friday with Saturday availabilityCompensation:
GHAP offers a competitive local salary. Initial salary will be based on experience and skill level, increasing over time commensurate with performance. GHAP has an egalitarian salary structure between local and expatriate staff. The position includes 3 weeks per year of paid vacation leave and visa costs will also be covered. Other benefits will be discussed with applicants who are shortlisted for the position.Length of term:
Minimum two year commitmentLocation:
Based in Mae Sot, Thailand, with travel up to 10%Position summary:
This position serves in GHAP’s field office based in Mae Sot, Thailand. At GHAP, Health Information Systems (HIS) encompasses the tools and processes for all parts of the monitoring and evaluation cycle, ranging from indicator development to analysis of results. The HIS Specialist is one of three staff in the HIS unit.
The HISOfficer works closely with local partners to develop HIS capacity. Most of this work focuses on one-on-one capacity-building concerning development of monitoring and evaluation information systems, with some support of HIS trainings to both HIS and program staff. This position requires a high level of patience in teaching complex concepts to people with limited English skills.Primary Responsibilities
- Provide one-on-one support of partner HIS staff’s daily work activities, such as checking databases and resolving design, query, or data entry issues, producing program indicators, and other HIS-related activities
- Organize logistics and documentation for HIS trainings, including arranging equipment check-outs, archiving materials, and recording evaluation results
- Co-facilitate tailored HIS trainings on such topics as developing and documenting indicators, designing quality data collection tools, standardizing information systems, creating parameter queries, etc.
- Maintain documentation and implementation of HIS standards that are in line with training curriculum and practices
Required qualifications Experience/Knowledge
- Contribute to the HIS strategic plan
- Facilitate coordination of HIS with partner program staff as well as HIS units between different partner organizations
- Understanding of relational database design and information systems
- Capacity-building experience, especially with non-native English speakers. Examples of capacity-building include conducting trainings and working individually with staff on their daily work.
- Knowledge of adult learning principles and training curricula development
- Experience working in low-resource settings
Skills and characteristics
- Experience creating relational databases and user-friendly interfaces to enter and manipulate data
- Be able to find answers to HIS issues
- Ability to communicate technical information to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to manage and complete numerous simultaneous tasks with a high degree of organization and limited resources
- Ability to meet deadlines with strong attention to consistency, detail, and quality
- Ability to quickly develop a strong understanding of the local cultural and political context and be able to motivate others and work successfully within these contexts
- Ability to travel to cities along the Thai-Burma border
- BA/BS in information technology, computer science, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Good command of written and spoken English
- Exposure to public health concepts, particularly in application of program design and managementand monitoring and evaluation
- Experience supporting curriculum and trainings that utilize adult learning principles, such as writing case studies, problem-based learning activities, and/or using Adobe Captivate for learning
- Experience supporting dual-language trainings in technical areas for developing non-technical staff skills
- Experience using Microsoft Access and Visual Basic for Applications
- Proficiency in Burmese, Karen, Mon,and/or Shan
GHAP provides a dynamic working environment in which duties and responsibilities may change. Employees are expected to be flexible and responsive to changes in the scope of their duties.Application ProceduresPLEASE SUBMIT A COVER LETTER.
To do so, click on the "Add Cover Letter" button once you have submitted the application. Applicants without a cover letter will not be considered.
Please be aware that you will need to answer a brief questionnaire completely about your qualifications and availability at the time of applying. If you need time to answer these questions, please do not close the browser.
Because of the large volume of applicants only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. We thank you for your submission.
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE