Dental, 401K, Medical, Vision, Life
Last online 15 minutes ago
Why Work Here?
“Awesome CEO, award -winning team, great benefits and opportunity for growth!”
Reporting to the chief financial officer (CFO), the Controller will be responsible for oversight of all finance, accounting and reporting activities. As the number-two executive to the CFO, the Controller will be involved in supporting presentations to the board finance and audit committees and will work closely with the senior leadership team.
The Controller will lead all day-to-day finance operations and supervise a team of 4 staff members including functional responsibility over accounting, audit, tax, real estate entities, general ledger, month end close, and capital and fund administration. The Controller will ensure that effective and efficient systems and procedures are in place to support the various lines of businesses within CHW. The Controller will work closely with line of business leaders and their staffs to educate them regarding finance and accounting procedures and explore how the finance function can help integrate the reporting, systems and analysis of CHW’s total financial picture.
Finance and Accounting Leadership Responsibilities
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Assist CHW’s leadership in the annual budgeting and planning process; administer and review all financial plans and compare to actual results with a view to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate.
- Prepares and analyzes/evaluates monthly financial reports and key performance indicators by program in a timely and accurate manner.
- Manage organizational and line of business cash flow forecasting by working in partnership with the line of business vice presidents; continuously collaborate with vice presidents to assess the financial efficacy of program operations and establish finance and administrative systems to support operations.
- Oversees compliance with audit and tax processes and internal control procedures.
- Provides input into the organization’s significant financial decisions and assesses organization-wide financial risk exposure.
- Works closely with the CFO on internal capital fund raising, maintenance, and forecasting. Develops and maintains relationships with funders and financial institutions in supporting enterprise level debt underwriting, covenants and agreements. Reviews legal contracts, and corporate structures involving the organization and its affiliates and considers liability exposures.
Integrate project level real estate accounting and systems into parent company financial statements and processes.
- Collaborate with real estate development team on inter-company transactions. Maintain multiyear forecasts of developer activities including developer fees, related party seller carry-back notes, and gain on sale of related party property.
- Provide support and input on CHW’s multifamily real estate portfolio of Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) properties including separate entity financial statements, budgets, reserves, and overall financial stewardship duties.
- Work with CHW’s asset management team to consider, and provide analysis of, various investment and cash flow options based on the financial performance of individual portfolio properties.
Education, Experience and Qualifications
This is an extraordinary opportunity for a:
- Driven leader with seven to ten years of accounting and finance experience, ideally beginning in accounting and audit, followed by experience in commercial real estate, preferably in multifamily housing.
- MBA, CPA or advanced degree in related field desired.
- Minimum five years’ management or supervisory experience in finance or accounting with a commercial real estate firm, large nonprofit, or related business desired.
- Leverage strengths of the current finance team members, help to clarify roles and responsibilities and develop, implement and measure performance goals in order to maximize and reach optimal individual and organizational objectives.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and unwavering commitment to CHW’s mission; a proactive, hands-on strategic thinker who will own, in partnership with the CFO, the responsibility for finance.
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software.
- Commitment to recruiting, mentoring, developing, and retaining a diverse team; the foresight and ability to delegate accordingly.
- Keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills, which allows for strategic data interpretation versus simple reporting.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management, board or other outside partners
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers
- Experience in a complex nonprofit that has multiple lines of business is highly desired.
About Community HousingWorks:
Community HousingWorks (CHW) is a California non-profit organization that has been building and owning affordable apartments that help people and communities move up in the world for nearly 30 years. We are counted among the top 50 affordable housing developers in the nation, with 3,000 affordable apartments statewide serving low income working families, seniors, and homeless and disabled residents. Many CHW employees say, “It’s the best place I’ve ever worked”. Your work will grow our compassionate community of support, so that CHW onsite programs can provide even more residents with powerful tools for next gen success, financial well-being, health and independence. It all starts with a home.