Are you ready for an unexpected professional challenge – using everything you know to take the human performance and business systems of a growing, entrepreneurial nonprofit developer, owner and resident services provider, to the next level? Are you ready to go home every night, satisfied that your work helped 3,000 low income families and seniors go to sleep in an affordable apartment that helps them push through poverty? Are you interested in working with a team committed to working smarter?
Community HousingWorks is seeking a strong leader to be its first ever Chief Administrative Officer, in San Diego.
The right person for the job will find new energy and satisfaction as a competitively compensated business leader in a fairly happy organization, that wants to be more organized and value-driven in supporting staff excellence, and be less frustrated with our data and performance metrics systems. You will relish the challenge of formalizing less formal HR systems -- of culture, staff communication, engagement and performance evaluation -- for a 65 person staff. As a leader, you combine a servant-leader approach and an urgency for excellence. This person will be able to communicate complicated issues, and enjoy the challenge of working in a fast paced, high performance, mission-passionate environment.
A workplace low on personal politics and hierarchy and high on integrity and excellence will appeal to the right person.
- Are a corporate or nonprofit leader who has been a part of organization growth and helped to implement performance management or data systems to support that growth
- Hate being bored and love the idea of working with the CEO to carve out a new executive role in the organization’s white space
- Have at least 3 years of executive role experience in Human Resources and have helped to support reorganizations or mergers
- Have a successful track record of leading organizational change and developing new systems
…then you might be the person Community HousingWorks is looking for!
This position is responsible for implementing a CHW values-based performance management system and culture in which staff members excel and flourish; supporting annual planning, reporting systems, and business analytics that implement the strategic plan; providing the space and administrative tools and driving organizational structures that maximize organization-wide productivity, efficiency and engagement. As a member of the Executive Leadership Team, the CAO partners with the CEO to drive that team's goals.
Duties and responsibilities
- Lead and supervise multiple departments, including Human Resources, office management and IT, to plan and to budget.
- Partner with CEO to drive the Executive Leadership Team’s goals.
- Design organizational structures to manage growth and strategic business changes.
- Create, implement and/or streamline administrative systems and policies.
- Provide instructional leadership and coaching to department managers.
- Drive the everyday use of and accountability to CHW values.
- Partner with senior level staff to actively identify and implement process changes.
- Identify and implement ways to improve and maintain staff engagement that maximize productivity and excellence and improve retention.
- Develop executive management presentations and summaries for meetings and town halls.
- Support the development and implementation of the organization’s strategic plan including milestones and timelines.
- Provide leadership and mentorship to staff, directly or through training and mentorship programs and policies.
- Develop and maintain multi–year succession plans for key positions.
- Oversee the creation and maintenance of IT tools that support organizational security, staff excellence and engagement and organizational goals.
- Develop reports, tracking mechanisms and high level presentations to report to CEO, Executive Leadership Team, and Board.
- Responsible for quality assurance and reporting from IT, Human Resources and Office Management departments.
- Assure that desired metrics are effectively identified and integrated into dashboards, performance development and accountability practices, and work with supervisor of business analytics to assure that they are efficiently identified and collected.
Education, Experience and Qualifications
- This is an extraordinary opportunity for an MBA with 5+ years executive management experience leading human resources; or Bachelor’s degree in business or related field and 10+ years executive management experience leading Human Resources, preferably with PHR and SPHR certifications.
- Experience in commercial real estate or multifamily housing organizations preferred.
- Experience with leading and supporting reorganizations or mergers, and leading and managing business plans and related business analytics.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills both written and verbal.
- Results-oriented with the persistency and patience necessary to work effectively with a wide range of team members.
- Proven ability to handle multiple priorities and lead team efforts.
- Strong project management skills driving organizational change and process and performance improvements.
- Demonstrated complex business problem solver.
- Able to see and hear the big picture and create SMART actionable goals.
- Successful in solving unstructured problems.
- Analytical and problem solving skills successfully used in the evaluation and interpretation of data.
- Solid understanding of goal reporting systems.
- Professional, self-motivated, creative and inquisitive in nature.
- As a leader, a patient listener with a servant-leader approach and an urgency for excellence.
- Ready to commit to CHW’s mission: creating and supporting apartment homes for low wage working families and people living on fixed incomes, so they can achieve life-changing goals for themselves, their families and their communities.
- Likes working within diverse communities and is comfortable with the people CHW serves.