Location: Fremont, Ca
What you do in your career can positively affect 1 out of every 2 people. You can be part of a dedicated group of people who connect with a valued mission to prevent cancer and to reduce its burden where it cannot yet be prevented.
· In accordance with the requirements and procedures of CPIC, the Surveillance, Epidemiology
· End Results (SEER) Program of the National Cancer Institute (NCI), and the California Cancer
· Registry (CCR), edits and resolves identified discrepancies on abstracts from reporting facilities
·checking for reportable diagnosis, completeness of cancer abstraction, accuracy of the data reported, and provides constructive feedback to registrars when needed.
· Reviews and resolves follow-up, update (correction), and deletion records.
· Reviews and resolves linkage and consolidation inconsistencies.
· Reviews and resolves potential duplicate reports.
· Resolves edits generated by the CCR and SEER edit programs.
· Performs various types of quality control audits, such as CCR recoding audits, casefinding audits and abstracting audits
· Performs special studies activities as required, such as data collection for SEER Patterns of Care and SEER Reliability Studies
· Performs special quality control activities for CPIC, those requested by SEER and the CCR relating
· Performs as needed, one-on-one training in the field and direction for newly hired Registry Operations Unit staff.
· Performs cancer abstraction and coding of information on demographic characteristics, diagnostic history, diagnosis (primary site and histology), diagnostic procedures, stage of disease, treatment, and follow up.
· Performs other duties as required, including participation and attendance at appropriate meetings and training events.
· Possession of Certified Tumor Registrar (CTR) credential is required.
· Requires a minimum of three years of progressively responsible experience in the medical fieldprocessing medical information, preferably in a cancer registry, plus successful completion of at least two-year college level curriculum in such fields as medical records, nursing, biological sciences Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) or equivalent combination of education and experience
· Must be knowledgeable about central/regional cancer reporting requirements, case finding methodology and abstracting cancer data.
· Strong working knowledge and understanding of medical terminology, anatomy, cancer diagnosis and treatment modality, cancer disease process, staging schemas (SEER Extent of Disease, Collaborative Staging), International Classification of Disease for Oncology (ICD-O) and various medical record systems is required
· Ability to work independently; must be detailed-oriented with a high degree of accuracy and have very good interpersonal skills.
· Computer literate with a strong interest and ability to work with large amounts of computerized information.
· Knowledge of cancer registry software is preferred.
· Must be able to take initiative, use good judgment and work as part of a team.
· Valid California driver’s license required; willingness to use own car; as necessary, willingness to travel within and out of the reporting area.
· This position requires a suitable manner of dress when working in the field.
· Physical health/stamina to pull and file medical records/charts and transport a lap-top computer.
· Must be able to lift/carry 15 - 25 pounds
About Cancer Prevention Institute of California:
The Cancer Prevention Institute of California (CPIC) is considered as one of the top 50 non-profit organizations in the Silicon Valley. CPIC is dedicated to preventing cancer through population-based research and community education. An independent research organization, CPIC is an established,
nationally recognized leader in understanding who gets cancer and why, and how to improve the quality of life for individuals living with cancer.
An equal opportunity employer and E-Verify participant, CPIC offers an attractive compensation package, including exceptional benefits and a friendly, collaborative working environment. CPIC offers an attractive compensation package, and a friendly, collaborative working environment. We are based in Fremont, California.
For more information about CPIC visit: www.cpic.org
Posted 4 years ago