“Excellent company and benefits, growing domestically and internationally, and exciting future and opportunities.”
The Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for the design of mechanical and electro-mechanical high-speed weighing and sorting equipment for the poultry, beef, pork, and fish processing industries from conception through release, manufacturing, assembly, installation, and startup. The Mechanical Engineer will also be responsible for the continued support of existing equipment and for third part equipment.
· Designs and details mechanical and electro-mechanical systems to customer specifications
· Supports/maintains existing equipment design changes through engineering change notices
· Produces supporting engineering calculations/documentation
· Participates in research and development activities in-house and at customers’ sites
· Practices good project management techniques
· Inputs items, BOMs, and routings in MRP system
· Provides technical assistance to both internal and external customers
· Collaborates with Manufacturing and Assembly for best DFM and DFA practices
· Develops system functionality and capabilities testing methods and participates in testing thereof
· Leads and participates in design or manufacturing reviews
· Researches and applies principles of mechanics, pneumatics, electronics, and materials, etc.
· Prepares and presents technical documents, reports, and summaries for varied audiences
· Maintains product and company reputation by complying with government, industry, and safety regulations
· Completes projects by training and guiding manufacturing, assembly, and service technicians
· Assists Service and customers troubleshooting field issues
· Maintains professional and technical knowledge through educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, networking, and participating in professional societies
· 4 year bachelor’s degree in related engineering field (BSME degree preferred)
· Minimum of five (5) years mechanical design experience
· Proficiency in AutoCAD 2D (5 yr)
· Proficiency in MS Office 2010 or higher (Excel, Word, Outlook) and general computer literacy
· Solid organizational skills with the ability to multi-task
· Ability to understand customer requirements and sense of urgency
· Strong knowledge of stainless steel milling, turning, welding, sheet metal cutting and forming and other basic machine shop metal fabrication processes
· Work experience in a manufacturing environment
· Experience in engineering documentation systems and techniques
· Solid understanding of core concepts, including mechanics, kinematics, pneumatics, electronics, materials, etc.
· Strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills and attention to detail and accuracy
· Strong attention to detail
· Must be a self-starter, multi-tasker, team player, work well with others, and have a positive attitude
· Excellent written and oral communication skills and command of the English language
· Good core values and commitment to continuous self-improvement
· Good math skills
· Good typing skills
· Occasional travel (<10%)
· Knowledge of poultry processing equipment and/or poultry processing plant environments
· Knowledge of other food industries or USDA regulations
· Conveyor design and general material handling knowledge
· SolidWorks solid modeling experience
Bettcher® Industries is a leading developer and manufacturer of innovative precision cutting and trimming tools for the food processing and industrial manufacturing sectors. The company also manufactures food preparation equipment for restaurants and commercial kitchens in the foodservice industry.
Bettcher Industries is dedicated to developing and manufacturing cutting-edge products that increase worker productivity and improve customer yields, while also reducing or eliminating risk factors associated with cumulative trauma disorders (CTD) and/or musculoskeletal disorders. All products developed by Bettcher are designed to contribute to better health, safety, and comfort for workers while also improving the efficiency and bottom-line profitability of the companies they serve.
We work closely with our customers to ensure the highest level of customer loyalty in our peer class and we are often rated best-in-class on critical customer needs, including, parts availability, strong subject matter expertise, fast response to technical challenges in the field, and quality of manufactured parts and equipment.
An ESOP (Employee Owned Company) with global reach in over 70 countries, Bettcher is a distinguished member of the Northeast Ohio manufacturing community with decades of investment in our local communities, charities, and the lives of our employee-owners.