If you are a leader who has a passion for plants and you are ready to work with frontrunners in agriculture, Backyard Farms is looking for you!
Backyard Farms, the premier quality producer of year-round greenhouse tomatoes in New England, is seeking a qualified candidate in the position of Grower. Reporting directly to the Director of Production/Head Grower this position is ideal for someone who is a self-motivated, hands-on with excellent organizational and communication skills. Knowledge of growing commercial crops in a greenhouse environment, strong technical skills as well as demonstrated leadership abilities is highly desirable.
Through integrated thinking, Backyard Farms has led the tomato industry in quality since the harvest of our first tomatoes in 2007. The right person for this position will be part of a team dedicated to continuous improvement with an eye for detail and a commitment to quality. In this position, the Grower is responsible for the achievement of strategic plan goals of management. The Grower will work in a fast-paced dynamic environment and promote sound judgment and respectful presentation of Backyard Farms to the employees, public and upper management.
Position Reports to:
Director of Production/Head Grower
Perform Other Duties as Instructed by Supervisor:
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Manage the climate computer, including the irrigation and boiler systems (requires strong technical skills)
- Contributes to managing the greenhouse planting plan, the labor needs (including training, developing/evaluating the labor force), IPM, and the COGS.
- Contributes to development of new farming/growing methods
- Monitors/develops methods to reduce costs/increase efficiencies and overall asset protection
- Responsible for and maintaining inventory.
- Will follow up on research in other greenhouses
- Recognizes labor issues and addresses these with management
- Contributes to the forecasting process
- Contributes to budgets (yield, labor and other COGS).
- Work together with department managers to execute departmental goals
- Demonstrated leadership skills, problem solving, customer service, confidentiality, excellent written and oral communication skills and ability to work in a team environment are critical to success in this position.
- Must possess strong analytical abilities, able to multi-task, time management and organization skills and able to maintain a decorum of confidence and attention to detail in the accuracy of work required.
- Must be available to work extended hours, holidays and weekends.
- Candidate must be comfortable with the following working conditions: moving industrial machinery, ability to lift 10-50lbs, bees and varied extreme summer heat.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Agronomy or equivalent plus 6 years of managerial experience in a production agricultural environment required as well greenhouse and field production methods.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office software, specifically Excel, with the ability to use other software programs (specifically greenhouse climate computer) and general computer skills is required.
About Backyard Farms:
At Backyard Farms were focused on being really, really good tomato growers. Its our goal to provide the Northeast with the freshest, best-tasting tomatoes possible year-round. Thats why we leave our tomatoes on the vine as long as possible. And its why we are so passionate about our produce.
At the same time, were focused on providing good agricultural jobs for people in the community. We wouldn't have the tastiest tomatoes in the region without our people. We show our appreciation by giving back to our community and continuing to invest in our business so that we can be the best growers possible.
We think people should know where their food comes from and whos growing it. We built our business on this belief, and we never compromise it. We believe in and support local produce particularly the desire of people to have a higher-quality, fresher, better-tasting tomato. Quality comes first. Quantity second. We dont grow as cheaply as possible.
We think of each of our employees as a long-term employee. Our employees give us a lot and work hard to grow and harvest the freshest tomatoes possible. And we give a lot back in return. Our employees receive competitive pay, comprehensive health care, paid time off, monthly incentives and, of course, free tomatoes! Plus, Backyard Farms is a great place to work in the wintertime 75 degrees and sunny year-round!
Achieving our mission requires great people who are bright, creative, and energetic, and who possess the following values:
Integrity and honesty
Accountable for commitments, results, and quality to customers, shareholders, partners and employees.
Open and respectful with others and dedicated to making them better
Willingness to take on big challenges and see them through
Self-critical, questioning and committed to personal excellence and self-improvement
Posted 4 years ago