Definition: This position is responsible for handling telephone inquiries from the general public and the Animal Control dispatch system. It involves heavy use of telephones and computers as well as providing superior customer service.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
- Answer telephone inquiries from the general public.
- Provide appropriate and adequate responses to inquiries and situations, including prioritizing requests for service and emergencies.
- Dispatch Animal Control Officers to animal control and animal rescue calls./li>
- Act as Call Center liaison with the Police, Fire Department or other agencies.
- Maintain complete and accurate records of dispatch events, calls for service, general inquiries, and other appropriate documents.
- Regularly use, in an efficient and accurate manner, the organization’s computerized database to maintain a record of activities and the to track persons and animals within our system.
- Counsel the public on the surrendering of animals, proper treatment and behavioral issues and alternative solutions to surrender.
- Accept and process telephone contributions.
- Provide information to the public regarding responsible pet ownership and the relevant laws regarding the sheltering of animals as well as general issues related to pets and animals.
- Report to the supervisor any calls of an emergency or unusual nature.
- Handle additional duties as assigned and deemed appropriate by a supervisor.
- Actively participates in the development of organizational policies and in other departmental programs and projects including marketing, fundraising, outreach, and volunteer programs.
- Responsible for being available on call after hours and must be willing to work rotating shifts, including nights, holidays, and weekends.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Required Skills:
- High School Diploma.
- Must have a minimum of two years customer service experience; Call Center experience is a plus.
- Communicate, both verbally and in writing, in a clear, accurate and concise manner.
- Effectively use a telephone and computer.
- Resolve problems and calm members of the public, by telephone, while providing them with outstanding customer service.
- Handle multiple tasks and work under stressful conditions
- Animals and pets, including basic behavioral issues, is helpful and desired.
Work Environment: Work is normally conducted in an office/call center environment and will require working on the weekends.
Reports to: Call Center Supervisor.
Salary: 10 per hour (union position)
Overtime: This position is not exempt from overtime.
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employees may be required to perform other related duties to meet the on-going needs of the organization.
Animal Care & Control of New York City is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer, and does not discriminate because of race, color, creed, gender, religion, national origin, disability, age, pregnancy, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, or sexual orientation. Accommodations will be provided to qualified individuals requiring them.