Sorry, this job was closed 4 months ago.
“Become a part of the Red Cross mission! Apply today!”
As an employee at the American Red Cross, you could be on the front lines making a positive impact on our community. You could provide your services directly to the American public or support to the people who do. Both roles help further the mission of the Red Cross. Join our non-profit organization, where your heart and mind go to work!
The American Red Cross Northeast Ohio Region is seeking a Communication Specialist. This position will be based in our Cleveland, OH Chapter. A valid driver's license is required!
Implements and participates in planning internal and external communication strategies that support Chapter and National key initiatives and objectives. Specialist is responsible for raising the local visibility of the Red Cross to help the community understand how to access local Red Cross services and how best to support its mission.
1. Develops and produces key communication vehicles and materials, including press releases, web strategies, op-eds, talking points. Also manages approval process for materials. Drives earned media coverage for fundraising programs and initiatives. Ensures distribution of nationally developed press materials to local media to raise local visibility for major corporate initiatives – For example: Holiday Giving Campaign, Holiday Mail for Heroes and other programs.
2. Develops story-lines and pitches to media, coordinates interviews, prepares spokespeople for proactive media relations that do not involve risk. Develops communication strategies and press materials in the event of crisis or reputation management issues.
3. Develops and implements a social media strategy. Crafts tweets and social media postings. Conducts outreach around individual posts.
4. Maintains positive relationships with members of the media and works with Chapter leadership and other staff to maintain these relationships.
5. Builds metrics as part of the communication planning process to measure effectiveness. Implements areas for improvement. Reviews and analyzes social media metrics: Likes, Followers. Reaches out to bloggers and influencers within the Chapter's social community. Monitors trends and new developments.
6. Develops and maintains a Disaster Public Affairs capacity within the Chapter including the ability to communicate with clients and donors about local and national disasters. Participates in Disaster Public Affairs deployments beyond the Chapter.
7. May be responsible for supervising other full time and part time employees. May hire, train, coach, counsel and evaluate performance of direct reports and volunteers or give significant recommendations as to those supervisory actions.
8. It is the responsibility of all Red Cross staff members to recruit, train and work with volunteers and to treat all clients, volunteers, guests, and other employees in a courteous and respectful manner at all times while maintaining a cooperative atmosphere for everyone. It is expected that each member of the regional management team to work with a volunteer counterpart to ensure key volunteers are utilized and ensure depth within the function.
9. Carries out any additional assignments required to fulfill the Mission of the American Red Cross.
Education: Bachelor's degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or related filed or combination of education and experience, which would provide an equivalent background.
Experience: 3 to 5 years of demonstrated experience handling media relations. Demonstrates strong project management skills. Experience managing multimedia, video and print production required. Ability to identify a newsworthy story, write effectively and quickly. Experience using Facebook, Twitter, and other social media platforms.
Management Experience: Preferred 6 months – 1 year supervisory experience.
Skills and Abilities: Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communications skills. Demonstrated experience and results in producing web content and building traffic. Must be able to multitask, meet deadlines and work collaboratively with individuals at all levels of the Chapter and National Headquarters. Advanced knowledge of the capabilities and limitations of social media platforms.
Other: Intermediate level proficiency with MS Office software, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Proficiency with Video and Editing Software, HTML
Travel: May involve travel.
Essential Functions/Physical Requirements: Depending on work assignment, may require ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations; or the ability to stand, walk and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights up to 20 pounds. Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read technical information. Overall mobility is essential including sitting for long periods of time, driving a vehicle and working under challenging conditions.
Work Conditions: Work is performed indoors with some potential for exposure to safety and health hazards related to emergency services relief work. May travel and participate in meetings and conferences throughout chapter jurisdiction, state and Red Cross system. Because the Red Cross is a disaster response organization, staff may be asked to be on 24-hour call during period of major disaster.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
If this sounds like the kind of opportunity that you've been waiting for, please apply at:
*LI-POSTApply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee's professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment.
As one of the nation's premier humanitarian organizations, the American Red Cross is dedicated to helping people in need throughout the United States and, in association with other Red Cross networks, throughout the world. We depend on the many generous contributions of time, blood, and money from the American public to support our lifesaving services and programs. If you share our passion for helping people, join us in this excellent career opportunity.
Posted date: 4 months ago
Browse Communication Specialist jobs in Cleveland OH USA:
Goodwill Industries of Gr. Cleveland & East Central Ohio in Cleveland, OH
Posted 20 hours ago on ZipRecruiter
Avery Dennison in Mentor, OH
Posted 13 days ago on ZipRecruiter
Cohen & Company in Cleveland, OH
Posted 21 days ago on ZipRecruiter