Senior Developer/Architect PRS3412
Location: St. Paul, MN
Length: 3 months
Type of Contract: Temporary
Ab Initio/Elementum Senior Developer/Architect - Senior Applications Developer
Minimum of 10+ years of ETL and Data Warehousing experience with a minimum of 5+ of those years having hands-on experience using the Ab Initio suite of products (Elementum experience a plus).
This is an opportunity to assist a growing and financially stable company as it establishes a new Elementum environment. In this role you will work with a team of technical professionals on a variety of rewarding assignments. Primary goals of the engagement are:
1. Analyze requirements, program, test, and implement data extraction programs.
2. Help structure an application architecture that is stable, extendible, maintainable, and high performing.
3. Mentor staff on how to write good quality, maintainable, high performing applications in Elementum.
Minimum of 10+ years of ETL and Data Warehousing experience with a minimum of 5+ of those years having hands-on experience using the Ab Initio suite of products (Elementum experience a plus). Experience should also include logical, access, and physical data modeling; hands-on technical development experience on a mid-size data warehouse.
The responsibilities of the Sr. Information Engineer will include being an Ab Initio specialist who can not only code graphs to move data successfully from source to target but also perform the role of mentor to individuals who are less experienced in the areas of:
· Help structure an application architecture that is stable, extendible, maintainable, and high performing
· Designing high-performing, best-practice based Elementum solutions
· Mentoring the team in design considerations and best practices
· Mentoring the team during application construction
· Creating a solution that includes:
o Sourcing the data from the operational systems
o Applying the business transformation rules
o Preparing a database-loadable file for the Data Warehouse or other targets
o Management of the deployment of the data acquisition tool(s)
o Contributing the technical metadata to the metadata repository
Using Elementum, the Sr. Information Engineer will extract data destined for the Data Warehouse or other targets from the operational systems that store the data. Specific tasks being:
• Analyze requirements, including source system analysis, and design high performing ETL solutions using Elementum
• Program, test, and implement data extraction programs necessary to extract the data from the operational systems needed to be moved to the Data Warehouse or other targets
The Sr. Information Engineer is responsible for applying transformation rules as necessary to keep the data clean and consistent and therefore usable by the user community. Specific tasks include:
• Participate in design sessions chaired by data stewards and/or IT personnel where decisions are made involving the transformation from source to target
• Program the data acquisition tool (Elementum) with the rules to be applied to the data
• Mentor junior or inexperienced developers in the use of the Elementum product with the intention that these individuals will gain the necessary skills to be effective in future projects
Following the data extraction and rules application, the file(s) will need to be made ready for loading into the Data Warehouse or other targets. This is the responsibility of the Sr. Information Engineer. Specific duties include:
• Obtain complete knowledge of the physical database schema
• Prepare the files needed to load each table that has been designated to receive files from operational systems rather than direct input from data stewards
• Work with the Data Warehouse Database Administrator to ensure the file loads properly into the Data Warehouse or other targets.
Near-term responsibilities for the position will include among other things:
· collaborating with consultants/architects to develop an improved ETL process and framework
· authoring and enhancing queries within an ETL and data warehouse platform
· updating existing ETL as necessary to improve performance
· assessing potential limitations and risks associated with any ETL solutions developed by IT or the business partners
· leads the technical design and development of new interfaces
· Other duties may be assigned or may be modified depending on project work.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Statistics, or Mathematics with 5+ years of Ab Initio experience preferred.
Candidate must have strong SQL programming capabilities as well as significant experience in medium to large scale data warehouse development, including ETL tools and processes. Candidate must have strong communication and interpersonal skills and be detail-oriented, self-motivated and proactive, as evidenced by prior experience in root cause identification and issue escalation.
Has a solid working knowledge of capabilities and direction of technology, coupled with an in-depth knowledge of the technology required and the needs of business environment necessary to support assigned projects. Develops solutions to meet business needs that reflect a clear understanding of the objectives, practices and procedures of the corporation, department and business unit.
Problem Solving & Decision Making
Demonstrates sound analytical and diagnostic skills dealing with issues that are not readily defined and/or conflict with available information. Knows where to obtain information needed to make the appropriate decisions. Breaks a problem down to manageable pieces and implements effective, timely solutions. Is very good at identifying the problem versus the symptom. Deals increasingly with problems that require involvement of others to solve. Has the ability to reach sound decisions quickly. Carefully evaluates alternative risks and solutions before taking action. Optimizes the use of all available resources. Have a solid working knowledge of capabilities and direction of technology, coupled with an in-depth knowledge of the technology required and the needs of business environment necessary to support assigned projects. Develops solutions to meet business needs that reflect a clear understanding of the objectives, practices and procedures of the corporation, department and business unit.
Is able to influence peers and staff through an inclusive style and recognition of their abilities to achieve results. The success of the team is above own interest.
Manages functional objectives and priorities supporting multiple assigned initiatives. Results are reviewed with manager for clarification according to predefined objectives.
Commitment to Quality Result
Creates an atmosphere where business partner's issues are dealt with professionally, and in a timely manner. Suggests solutions that make sense and are in line with future technology direction. Communicates openly and effectively in a manner consistent with the audience. Demonstrates an adaptive style that is flexible and effective in gaining cooperation of others.
Planning and Project Management
Develops operational plans and provides resource estimation for task planning. Proposes plans of action that are timely, realistic and positive. Sets appropriate goals for projects, and monitors progress against the plan