What Is a Supply Chain Specialist and How to Become One
Table of Contents
What Does a Supply Chain Specialist Do?
A supply chain specialist manages the transportation and storage of goods between the manufacturer and the consumer. Their primary duties are to manage product development, monitor inventory, supervise transportation and storage, and oversee other day-to-day supply chain logistics for their company or organization. This job requires a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, such as business or economics, as well as prior management experience. Additional qualifications are strong analytical, communication, and organization skills. Professional certification is an option for those that want to further their career.
How to Become a Supply Chain Specialist
The qualifications to get a job as a supply chain specialist include a bachelor's degree in business, economics, or a related field plus several years of experience with supply chain operations, preferably in management. Employers strongly prefer applicants who are familiar with the same type of supply chain management software they use, so training with the most popular systems can help you maximize your career opportunities in this industry. Useful traits for this job include interpersonal, analytical, problem-solving, and communication skills, attention to detail, and the ability to multitask in a time-sensitive environment.
Supply Chain Specialist Job Description Sample
With this Supply Chain Specialist job description sample, you can get a good idea of what employers are looking for when hiring for this position. Remember, every employer is different and each will have unique qualifications when they hire for a Supply Chain Specialist role.
Our manufacturing company is seeking a Supply Chain Specialist to join our logistics team. In this role, you will help with the supply chain process, including the procurement of raw materials for production and the transport of finished goods to our customers. This position relies on trend forecasting to predict our inventory needs based on the potential needs of our customer base. You will communicate with procurement specialists to ensure there is no halt in production. Our ideal applicant has a bachelor's degree in supply chain management as well as an APICS certification.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with supply chain team to ensure customer needs are fulfilled
- Assist with procurement and inventory control
- Optimize inventory performance via trend forecasting
- Update information in our vendor management system
- Maintain and process documentation
- Ensure compliance with company policies and procedures
Requirements and Qualifications
- High school diploma or GED certificate required
- Bachelor's degree in supply chain management, logistics, or engineering a plus
- APICS certification a plus (CPIM or CSCP)
- Supply chain experience (2-3 years minimum)
- Experience with SAP software
- Attention to detail
- Problem-solving skills
- Computer proficiency, particularly with spreadsheet programs